• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stream crossing - 96 Ford Ranger XLT RWD

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've got a 96 stock ranger (original shocks) and I need to ford a small stream to get to my backpacking trail head in a few weeks. How deep can the water be? This particular stream varies from inches deep to maybe 18 inches if its rained recently. the creek is only about 15 feet wide so I won't be in it for too long.

I'm mostly concerned about water coming through the door seals at the bottom. I doubt that the transmission vent and differential vent will get in the water but I'm not sure about that.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Double check the vents and plan on packing wheel bearings and dropping/checking/possible replacing rear axle oil when you get back.

Also be leery of stream flow, it doesn't take a lot of depth of moving water to take away a vehicle.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Double check the vents and plan on packing wheel bearings and dropping/checking/possible replacing rear axle oil when you get back.

Also be leery of stream flow, it doesn't take a lot of depth of moving water to take away a vehicle.
I've crossed this stream many times in the past - in other people's trucks. If it hasn't rained its never a problem. If it has rained the water can be pretty close to the bottom edge of the doors on a Toyota 4x4.

Anyhow, will water go through the door seals on this truck? I used to have a Toyota years ago and the water had to be pretty deep to push past the seals. That was my question. I am aware of the other issues you pointed out.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i crossed a stream that swallowed my 35" tire. a little water came in my door seal but not much... about a cup full. to be fare my truck has a roll cage inside and im sure some of the cab sheetmetal has distorted thus making the seal not so great. i used a rubber glove with ducttape to try to protect the hubs but most importantly make sure your trans/ diff vent lines are high enough to stay out of the water. no big deal:headbang:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
20yo door seals... your results may vary.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I once crossed a spot that got almost to my mirrors with no water getting in. I'm not really sure how, since if I looked at my passenger door just so from the driver's seat I could see day light outside.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I once crossed a spot that got almost to my mirrors with no water getting in. I'm not really sure how, since if I looked at my passenger door just so from the driver's seat I could see day light outside.
science!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it had enough of a seal initially water pressure may have pushed the door farther shut and tighter against the seals than normal.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If it had enough of a seal initially water pressure may have pushed the door farther shut and tighter against the seals than normal.
The flow of it was into the driver's side, so the flow was away from the passenger's door. That is probably what really saved it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The flow of it was into the driver's side, so the flow was away from the passenger's door. That is probably what really saved it.
Like pulling the drain plug out of a fast moving boat to suck the water out.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK, 15' is really short - RCSB Ranger is 14½' long, so the front is practically coming out before rears are in; to get up to doors on Toy 4x4 it has to be really deep in center. But, in that distance, water really doesn't have time to enter.

Now, when we crossed the slough to get the grain auger, ~100 yards each way and water was deeper than the G78-14s on the auger, my '68 got about a cup of water in the cab. It was 25 years old at time, so door rubber more/less same. Cab had rubber floor, so no foul.

What we did get was water into the hubs via the axle shaft seal (actual lack of seal) and front differential via tubes - when we checked oil flowed out. (vent tube was fine). You have to check differential soon after as heat from driving will eventually evaporate water out vent.

Which meant repacking bearings (did the king pins while it was apart anyways), replacing the bad seal and changing oil in differential. Luckily, I was on the farm still, so oil was in the drum and bearing packer was on the bench in the shop.

On the other hand until we got the seal, the truck was on jack stands. Should have went around the slough.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
are you parking in the stream?

because you would have to park in it or get stuck to worry about water.

what you need to be worried about is whether or not your intake will pick up water into the engine.

of course i just let the water flow through my truck....half the time when i am crossing streams it doesn't even have doors on it.

but the engine is not in danger of drinking water.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals