• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

time slips and money in truck

ironman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
just as the title says new to sight and would like to know how fast your trucks are running and how much money you have tied up in them.will be interesting to see the numbers.

macdaddy31516

October STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i havent run mine at the track yet, but i am hoping to be in the 7's. i say 7's to be conservative in case it runs better. my friends are saying that it will. a guy that lives down the street has an 06 vette tried me the other day at the redlight in town.lets just say he had a bruised ego that day.:icon_thumby:

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
I've only had mine to the track once and that was for the initial shake-down after the swap (found a few things that needed to be changed). I had about $2500 total into the project. Setup was as follows:

Stock used engine
Prototype intake (unknown flow)
Stock Mark VIII tune
Stock 4R70W
8.8 with 3.73s/TL
Used stockcar slicks (they were only $20/pair)
About 3500 lbs

If I would have hit one 13.99 the first time out I would have been happy as hell. But, because I forgot to replace the fuel filter from the donor vehicle (it was black inside) the best run was a 14.32@96mph. Once in drive it wouldn't rev much past 4500 rpm. On the plus side, nothing broke.

The truck now has 4.10 gears, mild tune, a clean fuel filter, and will have a stall converter when it goes back together. I'm not trying to run 12s but mid 13s would be nice.

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
ive been 14.20 at 97mph. i paid 2500 for truck, motor, trans, rear end, and wheels. i have an msd pro-billet distr.($500), performer rpm intake($180), block hugger shorty headers(we don't worry about how i got them), true dual 2 1/2'' exhaust, no cats, 2 40 series flows($400), and rite now i have no tranny cause i broke the aod with an art carr full manual valve body($700). soon to have a t-5 but i have no idea how much the swap is gonna cost me.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
With a GPS in the 1/8th I have 8.47 seconds at 80mph. I launched pretty easily and started in second gear since first winds out faster than you can snap your fingers. It's rare if it hooks up on a hard launch. From the other vehicles it keeps up with the truck is somewhere in the low to mid 13s. Not bad for a lifted offroad truck with 35s and 3.73s. Weight is 3850 with me and half a tank of gas. I have around $4k in the engine, 396W stroker, just under 11:1 compression, comp 292 cam, ported and polished heads, 3 angle valve, MSD ignition, Edelbrok performer intake and 600 cfm carb. I'm pulling this set up in the spring for a 426W stroker with a more offroad and street friendly build.

Matt

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
I've run low 14's with mine as well. I got the truck for $0. Paid my brother in law $50 for the 302 roller motor (he owed me a favour). The mounts were about 90 bucks and the headers were a gift from my wife. The C4 tranny was $250 and I did a servo mod and made a shift kit for free from instructions I got from Burly 4x4.com. I did all my own headwork and matched the intake ports on my Edelbrock Performer. I paid $125 for a Holley 750 DP and got a distributor in the deal as well. I paid $50 for a Chevy HEI module and 70 for a Carter fuel pump. So for $570 I built a pretty kickass little truck. That's what it took to get it running at least. I've added lots of other stuff like a Derale flex fan, B&M shifter, new gauges (speedo and tach), a 94 Explorer rad, wheels from my 94 Ranger, fancy chrome air cleaner and a new interiorcarpet and seats (total investment of $20 for the carpet - the seats were a freebee).
I'm planning some big changes for the spring - I have a W based stroker that I've been working on and some 2x6 1/4" steel tubing for a back half job with a rear axle from a 99 Explorer and a Pigpen Racing (my little business) custom 4 link setup. The idea is to have a real street truck that I can flog on the strip. Once the new mill is in it, I'll let you guys know what it runs.

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
90 ranger shortbed, engine 331 stroker forged rods crank by eagle probe flat tops funnel web intake 700 holley double pumper 572 lift roller cam, afr 185 alum. heads 1.7 crane rockers 1''5/8 shortys c4 manual vbody trans 2500 stall. 8.8 with 373 gears stock susp. sept for ibeams. best time 7.95 at 95. with 2.0 60ft. i'm not spinning just leave line at 2000 rpm , tires 26/10.50 mickey thomp. et streets. have sniper 150 shot but haven't sprayed it yet. thanks for reading i have 5500 in everything including truck ebay is great

Last edited:

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
90 ranger shortbed, engine 331 stroker forged rods crank by eagle probe flat tops funnel web intake 700 holley double pumper 572 lift roller cam, afr 185 alum. heads 1.7 crane rockers 1''5/8 shortys c4 manual vbody trans 2500 stall. 8.8 with 373 gears stock susp. sept for ibeams. best time 7.95 at 95. with 2.0 60ft. i'm not spinning just leave line at 2000 rpm , tires 26/10.50 mickey thomp. et streets. have sniper 150 shot but haven't sprayed it yet. thanks for reading i have 5500 in everything including truck ebay is great
7.95 Thats for the 1/8th right? What does that convert to in the 1/4? Just curious.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
89 ext cab, paid $11,500 for it new. How much on the swap? Can't tell you that, if I did, I'd have to kill you afterward.:icon_rofl: Best time with the 331 sixpack motor was 13.7 @102.(60' times were in the twos, so there was more left) Truck weighs 3550 lbs. If you're debating whether or not to do the swap, you may as well quit now. You have to WANT it to go thru with it to completion.

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Reading everyone time's I have a question.

I'm seeing people that have similar vehicles, running similar CID, similar gears, and only slightly different performance mods to the motors, and likely very similar horsepower and torque numbers, but very drastic difference in the end result.

What causes this? Pretty sure its got something to do with the way the truck is setup?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Base 6.0 Corvette is 400hp and 400ft#--real SAE net horsepower, not gross. 4.8 0-60 and a 12.8 @ 107mph in the quarter-mile.

Z06 Corvette 7.0 liter, 505hp 470ft#--again, real SAE numbers. 4.5 0-60 and 12.2 @ 120mph.

I'd like a chance to take on a 302 Ranger in either of these Corvettes.:3gears:

pineypower1186

November STOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 C.I.D.
Transmission
Manual
if u need a corvette to beat a v8 ranger u have no idea how to drive. and twizzler the reason ppl run differently is all about the truck setup. and who ever said that u should not do a v8 swap if ur still debating it didnt do his right cuz they are well worth it.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if u need a corvette to beat a v8 ranger u have no idea how to drive.
What does that mean, exactly? So if I know how to drive I should be able to beat a V8 Ranger in anything? Like on my riding mower?

I was responding to this:
i havent run mine at the track yet, but i am hoping to be in the 7's. i say 7's to be conservative in case it runs better. my friends are saying that it will. a guy that lives down the street has an 06 vette tried me the other day at the redlight in town.lets just say he had a bruised ego that day.:icon_thumby:

GETUSUM

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bang for the buck I do not think it is the best 1/4 king. If you want to have fun and surprise alot of people, do it. My freind just did one on a budget with a explorer block, gt 40 iron heads, c-4, carb, mustang headers, skinnies with e/t streets and he ran 12:70@103.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
if u need a corvette to beat a v8 ranger u have no idea how to drive. and twizzler the reason ppl run differently is all about the truck setup. and who ever said that u should not do a v8 swap if ur still debating it didnt do his right cuz they are well worth it.
I haven't done mine right? Who you trying to shit? I've had mine done for 6 years now, and no matter how well you think you've done one, you're never satisfied with the results (initially) and there are always bugs to work out. It's unrealistic to tell someone who you know nothing about that he'll be satisfied with a swap. You have absolutely no way to know how his will turn out. I don't try to sugar coat this stuff, you can if you choose, but when someone wants a scape goat when he's left with a truck thats undriveable, I'll point him in your direction. :icon_idea:And as mine stands today with a basically stock motor, it'll equal yours in the 1/4 mile.:D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals