• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft???

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys!!! Newb here, gonna take the V-8 plunge. I figure the easiest way to remove 1400 lbs from my '94 Lightning is to just build a 5.0 Ranger and be done with it!!! (No wonder these things are so FAST). Project will be an 89-92 Reg cab 2wd short bed. 5.0, T-5 HD, 8.8 Trac loc 3.73. My question is... what length of driveshaft did you use and has anyone modified an aluminum 'stang shaft to fit???

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Watch for it!!!

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
You can get lucky in the junkyard if you look around. I've done it a few times. I got one from a crown vic wagon once. It will depend on your engine placement to whether or not you will find something to fit. If you are going to drag race it or something of the similar I would recommend building or getting one built to take the abuse. Cut a stock shaft apart once, some are only .040 wall thickness. Make one from .083 and you'll be playing for a long time.

Matt

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The driveshaft is the last thing to worry about with a swap. You won't know how long it needs to be until you've completed installing the motor and transmission. Your stock Ranger shaft just very well may be the shaft you end up using. They may be small but they're not weak. I used the stock 2 piece shaft in my 89 for about three years before the 331 broke the cast slip yoke just behind the hanger bearing. And then, it was the sudden application of torque,a 4 speed Toploader, a dry rough asphalt parking lot, 275/60/15 tires and traction-loc that did it in. The two shafts themselves, held up fine.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I've also had luck and used the stock Ranger shaft on one project now that I recall. I've seen a lot of failures from the slip yoke as well. I've broken driveshafts is every possible way, shattered u-joints, broke yokes, twisted tubes, you name it. If you are going to beat it; over build it. Use larger yokes, bigger u-joints, largeer diameter tube, more wall thickness. Being that you won't see any offroad you will probaby be fine with a better tube.

Matt

Black P-38

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Rover 4.0 Aluminum V8 swap
Transmission
Manual
Cool, thanks guys... I appreciate your experience on this. Hadn't given any thought to wall thickness so thanks for the heads up there too.

Mike

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals