• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

347 Frame Reinforcements

crazy96863

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have underway a total restoration with upgrades on my 88 Ranger. I am down to the frame & axles at this point.

I am looking at a few mods to the frame that needs to be done before powder coating, such as cross member changes because I am switching the rear drive shaft to a 1 piece and frame reinforcements as the engine going in is a 347 stroker. This truck is a 4x4.

I researched this site extensively and others like James Duff; I have read that frame reinforcements for high powered V-8's are to be considered, but I couldn't find much information regarding the specifics of frame reinforcements.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help in the following areas: at what point (meaning power level) do frame reinforcements become a necessity, what area's need reinforced or strengthened and how, or does anyone know of websites that I can research (I am happy to help myself if possible).

Thanks! I would appreciate any other thoughts on this as well.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've had a 400+hp 331 in my 89 2wd and swapped to a one piece drive, no reinforcements were ever done or needed.

AzRanger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I agree that it is doubtful that the frame would need reinforcement but if you really have a hard-on to do it, you could always box some or all of it. 1/8 inch plate steel should work fine with 1-2 inch welds every 6-8 inches.

bottledgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i dont see the need

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
If you feel the need, like said earlier boxing the frame would be as far as you need to go. I have over 500hp and I do get some frame twist from a stock frame but no damage to anything yet.

Matt

crazy96863

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input. I am looking around 300 hp at the most. Since it seems that there is little need for the reinforcements, my project will be that much easier. Off to get it powder coated...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals