• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom Decals

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am reading the Destroyermen book series by Taylor Anderson that follows a Wickes-Class destroyer (USS Walker DD163) in an alternative reality type story.

Thinking it would be neat to have a model to go with the series to get a feel for the extinct class of ship I found a model of the HMS Campbeltown (ex Buchanan) which is the same class as the Walker but only comes with the British and US (DD131) markings that applied to that particular ship.

Anybody knows of a place that just sells decals like this but 163?

At any rate I ain't good enough to hand paint it without expecting it to look like a 2nd grader did it.

I wouldn't mind doing the battledamaged Mahan DD102 too if I find another model, the two ships are quite prominent in the series.

Last edited:

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
While I'am not familar with the series you are reading,I did serve on the USS Mahan DLG 11 guided missile frigate in the early seventys(1972-1973)
right towards the end of the Viet Nam conflict. They decomisioned it in 1973 and it spent three years in the Bath Iron Works up in Maine being refitted and the hull number also changed and it has since been decomissioned and sold for scrap. http://www.totalnavy.com/decals.htm

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I found those guys, mine is 1:240 scale though. I should have mentioned that but forgot to look it up. Thanks a lot though. :icon_thumby:

The Mahan in the series is the first one that was scrapped in 1930. It is kinda neat that he used real ships so there was something to base the character the ship on (like class and characteristics) but used ships that didn't have much of an active life so the books are not really stepping on toes.

For no real reason that I can come up with aside from liking old stuff I like to read about old ships, I did get to tour the USS Peterson DD969 in Norfolk before her last tour in Boy Scouts, that was really neat.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals