Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 12-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
ericbphoto
Supporting Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, 4X4, "Splash"
I use this vehicle for: around farm, around town, trail riding, rock crawling
My credo: In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
ericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really niceericbphoto is just really nice
Default auto dimming mirror wiring

Good morning.

I pulled an auto dimming mirror fom ann 05 Explorer (pretty sure it was 05) to put in my 93 Ranger. I searched for a while for a wiring diagram, but haven't found one yet that matches the wire colors exactly. Most of what I have found is for F150's and excursions, which seems to be similar but not identicle. The harness coming off this mirror has 3 wires that I THINK should connect like this;

Black - ground

gray w/ yellow stripe - power. I assume it should be ACC power, not hot all the time. I don't see why this would need to be powered with key off.

black with purple or pink stripe - This hooks to reverse lights to disable auto-dimming when backing up?

Can anyone verify or correct this info? Also, I f you can verify which pins on the mirror handle the other functions, I might use that info also. such as output for auto-headlights.

I also got the compass module that clips on the mirror stalk. Was hoping I could use that also. But it appears that the compass does not actually display in the mirror. Not sure what else I would need to get to make that work and display somewhere. If it's simple, let me know. Otherwise, if anyone needs a compass module, offer me a few bucks plus shipping and it's yours. Wires are complete down to the plug near the base of the A-pillar.

edit; Thought I should mention that this mirror may be a slightly newer version. It does NOT have the slide switch to control delay. This mirror has an On/Off button, sensor and led at the bottom on the side that faces the driver. It has a sensor also on the front side. Not sure what the led is for.

Last edited by ericbphoto; 12-05-2017 at 07:53 AM.
ericbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018