Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Ford Explorer's

Notices

Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
jollykreiger

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II 4.0L
jollykreiger is on a distinguished road
Default '91 Explorer will not idle during inital startup.

Its about as clear cut as I think I can make it.

When I first start it in the morning for about the first 30seconds to 1 minute, the rig will slowly drop the idle lower and lower until it stalls out. If I hit the gas it runs great and will stay running no problem.

If the truck is already warmed up, it will do the same thing for about 5 seconds. After that it gives me no problems.

If the truck is warmed up and I turn the key on but dont start it and wait 5-10 seconds, then it will start and idle like it should.

What gives, I know the IACV is doing something, is it just sticking or is there a temp sensor that isnt working right and takes a while to figure out the current temp?

And in case anybody wonders after that inital startup I dont have any problems. Ive ran it at about 5000 feet elevation in 1.5' of snow while camping, and back down to 1000 feet back in 100 deg weather and never had a problem except on the first startups. (after sitting more than ~10 minutes to be clear)
jollykreiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 04-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
BLOODBANE
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1984 1994
Vehicle Make: FORD FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Power Mall Crawling
BLOODBANE is a jewel in the roughBLOODBANE is a jewel in the roughBLOODBANE is a jewel in the roughBLOODBANE is a jewel in the rough

Any check engine light? the IAC in my 94 has given me fits in the past, but the replacement I bought makes it run worse (I keep it because it was installed and just never took it back). I had to replace the computer once, but I had all kinds of different CEL codes at different times (one time it would be MAF sensor, next scan would say IAC, next scan would give lean bank, etc...)The TPS could also be giving you fits (easy to change out).

I would get a code reader on it before I started throwing parts at it though. We could guess all day and never get you lined out straight.
84 Ranger, 347 V-8,C-6, Dana 20 t-case, X axles W/ 4:56's, Locked F/R,6" total lift,36x13.5x15 TSL IROC's// 94 XLT Explorer,4.0,4:88's, Locked F/R, 7" total lift, up on 35's/2000 F-350, SuperDuty Dually, V-10, my puller, 87 Samurai, 6" lift, 1.6 16v, 6.5:1 T-case
Its like a real fine woman with all the STDs of the world. Sexy to look at, not fun to get into.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
RonD

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant futureRonD has a brilliant future

I would change the ECT sensor, under $10, just on spec.
Fuel injected engines have TWO temp units.
ECT sensor, 2 wires used only by the computer
ECT SENDER, 1 wire used only by the dash board temp gauge

The 2 wire ECT sensor is what tells computer to run "choke mode" or regular warm engine mode.

A cold engine needs richer fuel mix and higher idle, the point of the choke plate on a carb, fuel injection has no Jets to suck extra fuel out of and no idle screw so the computer has to set choke electronically, open injectors longer and open IAC Valve more.

And you will want to clean the IAC valve, free to do and not that hard.
Also clean the MAF sensor(assuming 4.0l).
These should both be cleaned every 5 years or so

Last edited by RonD; 04-30-2016 at 10:51 AM.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
jollykreiger

Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: Bronco II 4.0L
jollykreiger is on a distinguished road

Ok, I have no idea if the cel is on as it never turns on so I assume the bulb is not working or broken or ... I dunno.

I change out the 2 wire ect sensor and no change, I cleaned the IAC valve before hand when I first got it but no change, so I'm thinking the maf, I was gonna clean it but apparently my cleaner is missing so I gotta buy some more.
jollykreiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
Zero_Cool

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver + Weekend warrior
Zero_Cool is on a distinguished road

could be that the IAC could have failed entirely
Zero_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
theAntihero

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Work truck/project/possible world domination
theAntihero will become famous soon enough

I had the same problem with my 00 explorer 4.0 OHV. I replaced it but before i got the part i whacked it softly with a hammer and it worked for awhile lol
theAntihero is offline   Reply With Quote