• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a unicorn

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mom had a white '94 with blue interior. It is still running around town, when dad traded it 7 years ago the thing had 170k on it.

It was fairly well optioned. Power windows/locks, push button 4wd, cassette radio and cruise.

Straighten the roof rack, lose the graphics and your white one looks like its twin before the rockers went to heck.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
We are doing another expedition/overlanding style trip to AZ next year in March so I have been busy preparing for that - my poor little '92 needed a lot of love, namely in these areas:

- new heater hoses and radiator hoses
- another new fan clutch, the "severe" duty one I got was on about 85% of the time so I switched to a "heavy" duty
- new wheel bearings on the passenger side, repacked the driver's side
- removed the ABS valve, has a super slow leak and my brakes were losing pressure. Took me a while to find that

Also I mounted a radio, antenna, and secondary fuse block. Really cleaned up the wiring and is nice not having everything run straight to the battery. I am also working on a rear bumper that has an integrated hitch and swing out tire carrier. One spare tire is probably OK but I have two spares so why not. I am also incorporating extra fuel storage on the roof rack and a few other goodies...stay tuned

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Oh I also built another "skottle" aka discada, cowboy wok, etc. These things are super cool for cooking at camp - you can make damn near anything on them. I have a much larger one that does not fit in the vehicle very well and is heavy. My new one is about half the weight and 6" smaller, should pack up well. FWIW you can hover them over a campfire or use a propane burner as I do in the picture.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looks good, I have the same fuse block in my truck.

Actually I have two of them, one for constant battery and one for keyed power. It really cleaned my accessory wiring up and took stress off my keyswitch. You probably don't have as many add on do-dads though.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just the front fog lights and the radio for now - not sure what else I will actually need hard wired in. I like the fuse block a lot and it was only like $8 shipped on eBay - should be using these more often, I hate the spaghetti mess of wires that inevitably end up connected to the battery.

My whole intention for this Explorer is to make the build as "bolt on" as possible - meaning that everything can be removed and it could, in theory, be put back to stock form. That has made this build interesting and a little challenging at times but other than a bunch of holes drilled in the frame, I have been successful.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just the front fog lights and the radio for now - not sure what else I will actually need hard wired in. I like the fuse block a lot and it was only like $8 shipped on eBay - should be using these more often, I hate the spaghetti mess of wires that inevitably end up connected to the battery.
That and I got tired of tracking down inline fuses. Is this for the fuel pump or the efan? Nope that is for lights, keep rooting... :annoyed:

Now they are all on the inner fender and I have a diagram that tells me what does what. :yahoo:

The wiring is still kind of a mess because so much congregates there but it is normally hidden by a cover.

Last edited:

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Oh I also built another "skottle" aka discada, cowboy wok, etc. These things are super cool for cooking at camp - you can make damn near anything on them. I have a much larger one that does not fit in the vehicle very well and is heavy. My new one is about half the weight and 6" smaller, should pack up well. FWIW you can hover them over a campfire or use a propane burner as I do in the picture.

Man... whatever you call it... I want one!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
They're really easy to build, you just need an old plow disc and misc scrap steel. I have $5 into that one. The burner hanger assembly and grinding off all the rust were the most time consuming parts.

Take a good long look at what I'm doing here and just build one already!! :D

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They're really easy to build, you just need an old plow disc and misc scrap steel. I have $5 into that one. The burner hanger assembly and grinding off all the rust were the most time consuming parts.

Take a good long look at what I'm doing here and just build one already!! :D

I wondered. Just gotta fill the bolt hole and it probably wouldn't be bad to dull the edges.

We have a pallet of them here at work, we have been using them for target practice.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a bunch of used discs here. I'm going to make one.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I kinda wondered what you used for the disc... now I know. Should be easy enough to find around here.

I've had this running through my head since you posted yours... I'm gonna have to rustle up parts to make two... one to swing over my backyard fire pit and a portable one for camping... seems like it would be easy to adapt to my existing turkey fryer burner. The welded lip on one side probably comes from experience in using it... is it so you don't push dinner off on the ground when stir frying? Or is there a different reason for it?

Thanks for sharing... I love to cook... really cool stuff.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep... the lip is there for that exact reason. It's actually not necessary, just helpful at times. A turkey fryer burner would work well, I'd think, you actually don't need a whole lot of heat and no matter what it is very concentrated at the center of the disc. The outside just gets warm. I'm usually adding water or other liquids so that the food more or less boils in the middle.

I should cook up a batch of fajitas tonight.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would love to get a b2 or ex that is that nice. set of stupid doodies and a spartan and call it a day.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That would be a DISC BLADE and you should buy one that's as thick as you can find. It will help spread the heat far better than a thin one. You can buy them in various thicknesses usually based on what disc they were meant for, or what the intended field usage is. One meant for chopping corn litter would be ideal, but heavy. 3mm thick ones should be easy to find.

GB :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That would be a DISC BLADE and you should buy one that's as thick as you can find. It will help spread the heat far better than a thin one. You can buy them in various thicknesses usually based on what disc they were meant for, or what the intended field usage is. One meant for chopping corn litter would be ideal, but heavy. 3mm thick ones should be easy to find.

GB :)
You can get them with various amounts of dish too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals