• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sexplorer build

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah if I do the doubler it might fix itself. Moving the t case back 7ish inches might improve the angles enough.
I had my front ujoint bind on down travel till I added the doubler. The extra length fixed it. Mine only bound on the last bit of travel. A bit of clearance on the yoke probably could have fixed it. Did the doubler instead.

Explorer looks good.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Thanks. Yeah that's what I'm hoping. Hopefully I'll have a doubler in by this summer.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What doubler are you going with?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
North west fab has been saying they are coming out with a doubler eco box kit for an rbv. Supposed to be done in a few months.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hope they do. They seem to have a good reputation compared to others in the past that have tried. Hopefully the exchange rate between US and Canada helps make it more affordable to us.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Yeah seriously. I have been bugging them on pirate and haven't got any updates or anything... I know a guy that can machine a stub shaft for a few hundred bucks too.

RockRanger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had dean at performance cryogenics modify a factory shaft years ago. I never finished it and bought a ddmacine one instead

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
So I haven't been on here in almost a year to update the exploder... So let me get my build up to speed.

Got my doubler, it was junk. Guy that made it kinda burned me on the deal. I put it in, and it wouldn't shift into high in the front case, and the new stub shaft he was supposed to build was used. Just basically screwed. Put it in and got a set of 40 inch super swampers for dirt cheap. Ran fordyce in June and found out the doubler leaked super bad. I got pissed off about the whole deal and basically parked it all summer.

It did do good on the first half of fordyce, but the creek crossing was flowing too heavy to cross. Here is a couple of pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
So after it sat all summer I was really considering selling the whole thing and just walking away. Then Wes from this forum lit a fire under my ads and I got back into it. Bought a 5:1 atlas 2 off a guy in Utah and scrapped the whole doubler set up.

Got the doubler in, fixed a few minor things, and took it to fordyce for another trip in august. With sloppy steering, virtually no rear brakes and old beat up super swampers that leaked and couldn't be aired down since they were 16.5 rims we made it through fordyce trail. It did really good. Broke a mirror off, a little body damage, and a badly bent rim were the only carnage. Had a blast.

This time before the trip I got new high steer arms since the ones that I got with my dana 60 were built wrong. It definitely took a little slop out of the wheel. Had to build a new tie rod for it since the holes were off set and the old arms had centered holes. Also picked up a ghetto beat up car trailer for dirt cheap to haul it around on.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
That brings us to December. My wife has always hated the thing and refuses to ride in it. I finally convinced her to come with me to the local off road park and promised not to scare her. Got her in the driver's seat, and she was having a blast. Now that I have her into it it, I decided I needed to make it more reliable and nicer.

My brakes sucked so bad that the pedal would go to the floor and it would barely lock one tire up. Needed to do something about that. Finally installed my ruff stuff disc brake kit and diff cover. Also did axle seals and wheel bearings while I had it apart. Since the discs used even more fluid I needed a bigger master cylinder. The best option I found was a 99 dodge ram 2500 truck with a gas motor. Has a 1 1/4 inch bore and pushes a lot more fluid through. Just had to grind down the push rod bolt about an eighth of an inch to clear. Bolted it in, bead the brakes and boom. I have real brakes now!

Also found some cheap relay harnesses on Amazon and bought a couple for lights. Wired one in so I could hook up rock lights. Just waiting on the rock lights in the mail. Hopefully I'll be getting those installed today. I think that about covers the last 10 months. I'll try to do a better job of updating this thing.

Next up on the list is saving up for wheels and tires. I want it a little more streetable. At 30ish mph it gets really bad death wobble. Need to redo the front suspension and get rid of the tired old leaf springs. I'll either get a set of waggy springs for now or radius arm it and put in some ori struts if I can afford it. I'm back in love with it and really excited to get some shit done on it this winter.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Rock lights finally came in the mail. I hate wiring so maybe I'll just duct tape them to the body and run the wires outside. Should be great. I'm hoping to get it done on Thursday. Saturday I'm going wheeling with Wes from this site. Should be a good day.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
Nothing major happening with the expo lately. Been trying to buy a house so she is on the back burner. I did however get a new battery and ordered the correct shifter assembly for the atlas. Should be here in a week and it looks like a relatively simple install. Also going to replace the transmission mount and engine mounts since mine are completely shot.

ben10

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
ah SHIT!
And just like that I sold her to pick up a new build. Hopefully the new owner has some fun with her.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals