• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Snow tires vs LSD in the snow.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Unfortunately all of the best winter tires are directional.

There are a couple real good ones that aren’t but unfortunately, you are correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macneil87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snow tires are designed to allow snow to pack into the tread since snow grips snow the best.

I have never heard of this.

Snow tires are softer compound so the rubber stays more malleable at colder temps; yes. Snow tires are designed with bigger gaps between the tread blocks and open slots on the sidewalls(edit; phone can’t spell)to allow just the opposite; for snow to clear from the tire.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have never heard of this.

Snow tires are softer compound so the rubber stays more malleable at colder temps; yes. Snow tires are designed with bigger gaps between the tread blocks and open slots on the sidewalls(edit; phone can’t spell)to allow just the opposite; for snow to clear from the tire.

You are thinking of a mud tire where channel clearing is needed for best mud traction.

A true snow tire has lots of narrow channels, small tread blocks, and sipes to retain snow for better traction. Yes the compound is softer as well so that is more pliable and gives better traction in cold temperatures as well. It is covered in depth by all kinds of reputable web sites, reviewers, and vehicle magazines.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Snow gripping snow? Anyone else find this odd? if you take two snowballs and rub them together they do not grip like traction lol. Snow tires are best in snow because they are a much softer rubber and have a lot of thin fins that help get traction. I personally use a pair of old studded snow tires fort the rear and just some good tires up front that are either winter rated or have good tread. Little bit of weight in the bed and your set. My rear tires have worn down studs but they still make a HUGE difference. I remember getting studded tires on the rear last year and I found a gravel road covered in snow and I mashed the gas and it took off like a bat out of hell instead of just spinning like the summer tires would. I've never had issues in the snow being a 2wd and I live in Ohio so we definitely get snow. You can tell a winter tire from all season tires because they will either say M+S or have a snowflake image or a mountain image. You should be able to find new snow tires for around $100-130 each.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Take a snowball and slide it over a piece of glass. Then slide it over a pile of snow....

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m not going to argue about it. The tread is designed to lock as much snow into it for the best traction since the tire can’t always push down to bare pavement for traction. Like I said, I’m not the only one saying it. Believing it or not, is a call you have to make and doesn’t make a difference to me one way or another.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Dont bother with snow tires.

I live in michigan and have ran snow tires, they are awesome. But when the roads arnt bad (after a good plow or whatever) they wear fast....unless you constantly wanna be mounting and unmounting tires...

I had a old set on rusty #1 and with about 300lbs in the bed never ever got stuck...

But heres my reccomdation...

BFG A/Ts.

I put a set on my 77 F250 back in 2013. Right before those two super snowy winters. I never bothered with weight in the bed (2wd) and with an Open Rear NEVER got stuck. Plus you have the added benifit of longer wear, not needing to switch out in spring, and improved mud performance when stuff starts melting.

I put a set on my 97 F250 2wd as well. It went from totally helpless in the snow (4.10 open rear) to never getting stuck as well.

Do not run a mud tire in the snow. Mud tires are meant to dig and throw. Not pack. So you end up just digging your self deeper in short order. I had a set of BFG M/Ts on a 83 F150 2wd. They sucked in anything over a couple inches. Then you add weight and all it does is dig faster.

Also, goodyear wranglers RTS tires do awesome in the snow. Had them on my 2wd open diffed colorado and never needed weight and only got stuck once (due to my stupidity). They are also cheap, BUT, only come in a 235/75R15 size.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do not run a mud tire in the snow. Mud tires are meant to dig and throw. Not pack. So you end up just digging your self deeper in short order. I had a set of BFG M/Ts on a 83 F150 2wd. They sucked in anything over a couple inches. Then you add weight and all it does is dig faster.

Also, goodyear wranglers RTS tires do awesome in the snow. Had them on my 2wd open diffed colorado and never needed weight and only got stuck once (due to my stupidity). They are also cheap, BUT, only come in a 235/75R15 size.
+1

I have MT's on my Ranger, breaking trail it does pretty good. Packed snow or ice it is very dramatic. With limited slip in the rear I HAVE to have 4x4 just to keep it pointed the right way. That is why I lobby for good tires over a limited slip.

I run AT's on my dd and get along pretty good... but I also have 4wd for a crutch too.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have read some very good things about BFG KO2 ATs in the snow. Customer reviews rate them great for pretty much everything but mudding.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have read some very good things about BFG KO2 ATs in the snow. Customer reviews rate them great for pretty much everything but mudding.

I can say ivr had my 77 up over the hubs in snow and (empty) still got going after some good throttle.

Ive never had them in DEEP mud, but anything a 2wd with a sane owner does theyll be fine. But if you do get hung up in mud, dont pussyfoot the throttle. Youre going to tear up the ground but you WILL get out.

I was over at the old house moving my camper with my 97 and hit some soft ground, couldnt budge tbe camper, but after i unhooked i just stood on it and that old 460 did the rest.

They pack with mud, bad, but once you get them spinning about 30mph they self clean pretty good :)

Not sure how fast i had my 97 spinning that one day, but i do know it shifted to 3rd and i was WFO.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I say go with WINTER tires, not SNOW tires. Rumour has it there is a difference, although most people seem to use both terms interchangeably.

When I bought my 2010 Honda Fit, I was surprised at how easily the back end wanted to come around on ice. ABS kicked in under hard braking, and the back end liked to wiggle. I think it had Firestone tires on it, I don't remember.

I put studded WINTER tires on it, and the difference was night and day. The back end stopped kicking out. The tires grabbed in even the worst conditions. In fact, I was driving on the highway one night, and could see my headlights reflecting off the ice on the road. The car was solid as a rock. My wife almost got her Taurus stuck in deep snow during a snowstorm. I got through deep snow (not the same spot) with no problems at all.

I wish I could find the article again. Many years ago I read an article where they tested the same car, with the same driver, on a hockey rink. They drove it once on all season tires, and then again with winter tires. With the winter tires, it stopped in half the distance, accelerated in half the distance, and turned better, too.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There is a difference between winter and snow tires but I don’t remember what it is.

Something is egging in the back of my mind that snow, like M+S, is a rating and not an actual specific tire design but I’m “grasping at straws” on this one.

So, a winter tire could have a snow rating. Maybe, possibly?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Dont bother with snow tires.

I live in michigan and have ran snow tires, they are awesome. But when the roads arnt bad (after a good plow or whatever) they wear fast....unless you constantly wanna be mounting and unmounting tires...

I had a old set on rusty #1 and with about 300lbs in the bed never ever got stuck...

But heres my reccomdation...

BFG A/Ts.

I put a set on my 77 F250 back in 2013. Right before those two super snowy winters. I never bothered with weight in the bed (2wd) and with an Open Rear NEVER got stuck. Plus you have the added benifit of longer wear, not needing to switch out in spring, and improved mud performance when stuff starts melting.

I put a set on my 97 F250 2wd as well. It went from totally helpless in the snow (4.10 open rear) to never getting stuck as well.

winter tires....they have the symbol

second set of wheels. only use them in winter.

its great for you that you live/work hours in a situation where you dont need snow tires or 4wd.

not far north of you you sure as fawk would not say never been stuck trying to drive through 5 foot snow drifts at 4 in the morning...even a bit west.

the sipes are for smooth surfaces to have more biting edges on ice...

consequently on snow they hold snow and use it as an actual friction bonding multiplier just like when you pack a snowball or make a snow man.

yes they wear out quickly...barely get a winter out of them because i drive a shit ton of miles. but the set my truck get more then a season now because i have a shop truck to wring miles on too. it for sure wont get all the way through winter on the set functioning correctly...

but those pos bfg...which are good in snow...but after 30-40 k miles belt out and explode.....exploded early and i had to get snows early.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
winter tires....they have the symbol

second set of wheels. only use them in winter.

its great for you that you live/work hours in a situation where you dont need snow tires or 4wd.

not far north of you you sure as fawk would not say never been stuck trying to drive through 5 foot snow drifts at 4 in the morning...even a bit west.

the sipes are for smooth surfaces to have more biting edges on ice...

consequently on snow they hold snow and use it as an actual friction bonding multiplier just like when you pack a snowball or make a snow man.

yes they wear out quickly...barely get a winter out of them because i drive a shit ton of miles. but the set my truck get more then a season now because i have a shop truck to wring miles on too. it for sure wont get all the way through winter on the set functioning correctly...

but those pos bfg...which are good in snow...but after 30-40 k miles belt out and explode.....exploded early and i had to get snows early.

Hammer down and hold on. Thats my motto. :)

Eithrr way, to add a disclaimer, the 70s trucks ive had always did amazing in the snow. Regardless of tires. Even my old 78 1ton dually.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals