• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone here strip and paint their ford emblems black?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I never paint anything naked...too hard to get the paint off my...uh, emblem...oh...

No...I've never painted my emblem...I kinda like them in their natural colours...and I don't think I've ever seen them painted over...I would imagine they are plastic so using a plastic type of paint would probably hold up best...

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '07 F150 had beat-up emblems on them, and I gave them a coat of spray-can wheel-paint in the aluminum color. Not the ideal color-choice, but that's just what I had on-hand since I'd originally bought it for the plastic center caps, and it looked a lot better than the beat emblems. I used both adhesion-promoter and spray-can clear-coat. It held up pretty well. The toughest part of the job was getting all the clear plastic coating off of the original emblem. I got what I could off with a razor-blade in larger pieces, but I still ended up having to sand some of it down to blend in what wouldn't come off.

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Somewhere I saw a write-up on heating the glue behind the emblem w/ a hair dryer and slowly peeling it off. Then you can sand the blue off and leave the silver "FORD" cause it actually has dimension to it. I tried it a while back with terrible results. Half the "FORD" came off with the glue. Newer emblem w/ more heat may have yielded better results, I think my glue was too brittle. Something like below is the idea...

Mike Tonon

I have the big 9" emblems. A lot of them I see on other Ford trucks around the same year are coming apart like mine. Its like the plastic starts coming off and moisture gets back there.

copenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I think it looks cool if you take the plastic off and paint the emblem and letters black and leave the plastic off. You can still read it because the FORD is raised.

Badlevel2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6 with K&N Intake and Free Flow Turbo Muffler
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Intolerance is the most pure form of ignorance and insecurity
i did it a few days ago as a means to cover up the dlaminating one on my grill. I have one on order so I figured what the heck. My truck is black if that makes a difference. I think it looks really cool actualy. kind of gives it a slight tweak. used a matte black which gives it a sinister look. I think if you do do it as with any painting, prep will determine results as well as durability.

If you don't like it you can order up some new ones. Hope this helps...Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals