• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 Explorer Limited Coil Over Conversion

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
As purchased off craigslist for $650. 99 Explorer 5.0 Limited with 135k on it. Transfer case is shot and has some pretty good body damage on passenger rear.

Had a local body shop fix the damage. He gave me a really good deal since they were slow and I paid cash. Also swapped in a BW4406 but this is the only picture I snapped during the process.

Been driving it for a while and decided I should add the coil over conversion kit that I had laying in my shop since I removed it to SaS my 99 Explorer Sport.

I didn't like how much up travel I lost on my sport with the brackets provided in the kit so I decided to do my own version with new upper bracket mounts that are taller.

Factory mounts removed and cleaned up.

Drivers side mount.

I'll try to snap some more pictures tonight of the final setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snapped a couple of pictures last night. Still need to redo the rear leaf pack, adjust the front ride height to match the rear and then see about an alignment. Planning on making my own add a leaf by combing two 4 door explorer leaf packs. I'm thinking I'll use the leaf directly below the main as the add in and remove the overload leaf to try to keep the total height of the pack similar to what it was.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had forgotten how much smoother the coilovers are than the torsion bars. Still choppy on rough gravel though so I'm thinking about either swapping body mounts or drilling some holes in the stock ones to soften them up. The rubber feels very hard to me. I'm not sure if they are that way stock or the 17 years of weather has hardened them up.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Just curious, what do your CV angles look like with the coil-overs?

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I set the suspension travel so that the coilovers run out of down travel before the CV's bind. I understand that using the shock to limit travel isn't ideal but that's what limits travel with the stock setup. Also it's not like there is a 600LB solid axle under there that the shock is holding up.

Another note is that I had to trim the corner off of the brake line brackets as they rubbed the springs under compression.

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Decided to start with pulling a few of the body mount bushings on my parts explorer and see what they look like. I found out that the "B" position bushing is made from a much stiffer either rubber or some sort of plastic. As a test I took both B bushings out and then I took it for a drive like this. I was amazed how much smoother and quieter it rode over choppy bumps and gravel roads.

I won't have time to work on it tonight but tomorrow I'm going to see if I can make one of the softer rubber mounts from my parts explorer work in place of the hard ones.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Almost forgot I took a couple pics of the leaf pack that I put together for this. Top two leaves (bottom in picture) are from the 4 door leaf pack that was on the 99 sport that I SaSed so they have been pretty abused but the bushings were better than the ones on this explorer. You can see how the two middle springs are the same spring and no overload leaf so the ubolts could be the same length.

Here is a picture of the new pack behind the stock main leaves. By adding the second middle leaf it only increased the arch about 1/2in.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Looks good! I like it.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
What about just replacing all the bushings. together? James Duff sells the polyurethane bushings, and although stiff, they improved the ride of my second Ranger substantially. You plan to put the B pillar mounts back in, correct? The body would, over time, sag in the middle, causing creaks and door alignment issues.

New rubber would be your best bet for comfort though.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like poly for suspension but not for body. Over time the body might sag but when I put the A bushings back in I didn't even have to jack up the body. The rear mounts were actually supporting the body well enough I just slipped them in. I'll eventually replace them with something but I need to figure out what rubber ones I can make work. I'm still impressed with how much difference it made taking out those hard bushings.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Considering swapping out the front axles/bearings for the ones from my 99 Ranger that I am going to SaS. Add to that the AVM 470 lockout hubs and then I could gain some mileage without my front drive train turning all the time. Anyone attempted this? Any parts I would need that I couldn't steal from the ranger? I read a few threads on it but no confirmed swaps.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Finally got around to installing the shift boot for my BW4406 swap. The boot I used is for a 2011-15 F-250.

You can see here that I didn't measure twice and cut once hence the slight gap at the right side.

Here it is finished in 2wd high. Notice I stuffed some of the carpet I cut out to fill in the gap and help with road noise.

Here is 4wd low.

And here is the seat all the way forward. I doubt you could get it in low range like this but I'm 6'2'' and not 4'10'' so I don't see this being a problem for me.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't see any pics, tho when I go into "edit" I can see you have links to google.

Any one else having problems seeing the pics or is it my computer?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
They're showing up for me.

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Updated links. Pictures should work for everyone now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals