• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto dimming mirror wiring

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Good morning.

I pulled an auto dimming mirror fom ann 05 Explorer (pretty sure it was 05) to put in my 93 Ranger. I searched for a while for a wiring diagram, but haven't found one yet that matches the wire colors exactly. Most of what I have found is for F150's and excursions, which seems to be similar but not identicle. The harness coming off this mirror has 3 wires that I THINK should connect like this;

Black - ground

gray w/ yellow stripe - power. I assume it should be ACC power, not hot all the time. I don't see why this would need to be powered with key off.

black with purple or pink stripe - This hooks to reverse lights to disable auto-dimming when backing up?

Can anyone verify or correct this info? Also, I f you can verify which pins on the mirror handle the other functions, I might use that info also. such as output for auto-headlights.

I also got the compass module that clips on the mirror stalk. Was hoping I could use that also. But it appears that the compass does not actually display in the mirror. Not sure what else I would need to get to make that work and display somewhere. If it's simple, let me know. Otherwise, if anyone needs a compass module, offer me a few bucks plus shipping and it's yours. Wires are complete down to the plug near the base of the A-pillar.

edit; Thought I should mention that this mirror may be a slightly newer version. It does NOT have the slide switch to control delay. This mirror has an On/Off button, sensor and led at the bottom on the side that faces the driver. It has a sensor also on the front side. Not sure what the led is for.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals