Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > Ford Explorer's

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #1
marauderx

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: Ranger with modified wide bed
I use this vehicle for: everything
marauderx is on a distinguished road
Default 99 5.0 Explorer fuel pump floor cutting template/location.

I am looking at purchasing a 1999 explorer with 170K and it has been sitting for 3 years. I hate dropping tanks, I would rather cut the floor, and fab a cover plate Like Mercedes-Benz does. Does anyone have pictures and or measurements to do that? I am going to purchase the vehicle, and I cannot get the pump to spin. I pulled the cover off a relay, and manually actuated it, and nothing, It is making a connection, as per my power probe, but no spin. any pictures or landmarks would be great.Thanks!
marauderx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 11-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

probably you toob stuff on that.

have a gawk under there and get to it.

i know the 90's units did not have holes for it. some do though in the cars and i think the escapes.

i do the bronco 2's that way. the explorer wont be as easy...pretty sure it is under the seat too so compound cutting through supports will probably be part of the deal.

1/2 in drill bit and a nibbler to do most of the work safe and make a window big enough to keep ya from wrecking stuff......and a scroll saw or body saw should make quick work of it if there are supports to go through..
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 AM   #3
fastpakr
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
fastpakr is a jewel in the roughfastpakr is a jewel in the roughfastpakr is a jewel in the roughfastpakr is a jewel in the rough

There has definitely been discussion at length about how and where to cut at explorerforum.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 AM   #4
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

pulling the tank on an Explorer is WAY THE HECK easier than a Ranger, seriously there are two bolts in the front and one in the rear holding the tank in other than the fuel filler neck and fuel lines. Ok, I'll admit when I got this thing the fuel tank skid plate was missing but I don't think that adds too much to the process, which reminds me I should grab one of those from a junkyard...

I say this from experience, I did a fuel pump on my '91 Explorer without jacking the rig up, and when I put the manual transfer case in my '00 Explorer I had to pull the tank loose and modify the front mount bracket, on that one I had the front on ramps and the rear on jack stands which made it easier but still not bad, did it again when the trans went out again a few months ago... I don't think the fuel pump I changed took more than an afternoon.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

i know i probably dont have to mention this.

dont use a grinder.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:46 PM   #6
scotts90ranger

Vehicle Year: 1990
I use this vehicle for: holding down the driveway
scotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the roughscotts90ranger is a jewel in the rough

plasma cutter or torch is obviously the best option Steel tank on the Explorer though, so it's a little more hardy...
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #7
marauderx

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Ranger with modified wide bed
I use this vehicle for: everything
marauderx is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Probably going to drop the tank, would love to use an ATV jack to lower it, but I do not have room to store one when I am done...
marauderx is offline   Reply With Quote