• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Axle and front axle gears/Potential axle swap

Mazd4x4ped

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I have a post 97 truck with the IFS and 4 wheel drive. My current gears are 3L73 in the back and I am assuming the same for the front. I just bought a set of brand new 35" baja radial claws and I am concerned about my gearing. I hear alot about the explorer rear swap. My question is which would be cheapest/easiest: A rear axle swap with another 8.8 with higher gears, taking apart the axle and redoing the gears myself, or the explorer axle swap? Also I was wondering if my truck would be nonfunctional in 4 wheel drive with different gears in the front or would I have to redo the front axle as well. I dont plan on riding in 4 wheel drive, just getting unstuck. Any information would be a great help.

ForOffRoadDriving

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
youll need to regear the front to whatever your rear ends up being geraed at or your axles will be fighting eachother and somethings going to have to give, whether it be your hubs, axle shafts, transfer case or driveshaft. 35s on 3.73s are definately going to be a bit much, ive got 30s on 3.73s and 5th gear is all but useless.

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 on the gearing. Whatever you do to the back will need to be done to the front. As for the 8.8 its a beefier axle and will withstand more pressure and I believe theres more aftermarket gears and lockers available. Myself I'm planning on an 8.8 and d35 swap for my ranger when i do my lift and 35s. I had someone tell me to run about a 4.56 or so for 35s. Im running 31s on stock gears and like ForOffRoadDriving said top gear is worthless unless im on the highway. As for the swap the explorer rear diff has disc brakes where the ranger/b series trucks have drums, only down side if your not good at welding or fab work you have to move the spring perches from the bottom of the axle to the top. Hope i answered your qestion.
-Matt

Mazd4x4ped

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I currently have an 8.8 in my truck right now with the 373. Would it be easier to find another 8.8 with higher gears or redo the gears myself?

bagdranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
probably cheaper to do it yourself. You can check the classified section here. But if you buy from someone else itll probably be more. Granted your getting a whole new axle and gears vs you already having the gears and axle and you doin the work yourself. One thing I'd recomend if your doin the work to install a locker or better limited slip in the 8.8 while you have the diff out.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
4.88 is the best gears for 35" tires with the 4.0L. These never came stock so it would be a stroke of luck to find axles already geared to that in a wrecking yard.

I would plan on doing it yourself (or having it done).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals