• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 2.8l valve seal

houlimon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I believe I need to replace my Valve stem seals for truck is burning oil under acceleration.

Waiting on the seals to show up this morning. was wondering if y'all had a few tricks to make this a little easier? truck is lifted 6-8 inches. i'm not to sure the valve spring compressor i'm looking at will work very well. Also i have never done valve seals before and i don't know how to pull or remove the retainer locks and really do not want to break anything in the process.

Truck idles fine. Upon acceleration exhaust starts to blue smoke pretty bad. once i let off gas and truck returns to idle blue smoke goes away. not burning coolant.

Truck has been a sitting project for the past 13 years. Luckily the truck is a Socal truck so it isn't a rust bucket!! This week i will be doing compression test so i know the numbers.

California Smog is the goal.

Thanks

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I just used 35 lbs air pressure to hold the valves up as i changed the seals. Be careful you dont drop any of the retaining clips once you compress the spring i used a magnetic tip screwdriver to grab the retainers. What size jets are in the carb? After i replaced the seals it still smoked under a load that went away by installing #42 high speed jets. Adjust the idle needles 3 1/2-4 turns out from lightly seated.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What he said works best but a old trick works if you have no compressor.....shove rope in the spark plug hole

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

houlimon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I just used 35 lbs air pressure to hold the valves up as i changed the seals. Be careful you dont drop any of the retaining clips once you compress the spring i used a magnetic tip screwdriver to grab the retainers. What size jets are in the carb? After i replaced the seals it still smoked under a load that went away by installing #42 high speed jets. Adjust the idle needles 3 1/2-4 turns out from lightly seated.
ok cool ill fetch a magnetic tip.

Right on, i dont know what size the jets are. I will pull carb tomorrow, should be stock jets. ill also see how many turns out my idle is.:headbang:

houlimon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
Really appreciate input:icon_thumby:. working on her right now. both of the idle screws are 2 turns out. what rpm does your truck idle at?

Was it an instant change? or did it take some time?

which jet is high speed and main?

i figure replacing the valve stem seals would be easier with the carb out of the way...:icon_idea:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The jets are in the bottom of the float bowl. Use a large screwdriver they are real tight. I set the idle speed around 700 rpm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals