• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RCD Suspension Lift

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Anyone have any input on this lift.

I read on this site that it is going away, is this true ?

Has anyone installed one ?

I heard from RCD, on 2003 and newer Rangers, you need to change the Rotors to the 2002 or older smaller units.

Does anyone know if they are a direct replacement ?

I am thinking of installing this lift, on my 2003 Edge, 3.0L, and was thinking even if I go to 33" tire the smaller rotors should work OK.

Any comments on the 33 and a 3.0L ?

Thanks

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
RCD has discontinued that lift kit. You may be able to still find one in stock somewhere.
The rotor deal I've not heard of, I do know that around 2002 Ford changed the knuckles and ball joints. If you look at Superlift's site they have two different kits depending on the model year.
It is possible to use some of the Superlift components to drop the front end hardware down to lift the truck and replace the torsion bars with Fox coil-overs. A guy on Explorerforum.com and mysporttrac.com has done this.
There was a guy here who installed an RCD, Big04Ranger, I sold him the clear corners off my old '02, but I haven't seen him here in ages.
With 33's on a 3.0 you will also want to do a gearing change to 4.56 or 4.88 which will cost about $1000. If it's me, I buy the Superlift and take the $1000 I saved over the RCD and use it to buy gears and get them installed.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The RCD Kit can be found at $2100.00 so the difference between the two isn't much and the re-gearing is for both kit so that's a wash.

My only concern is if it will fit the 2003 Ranger.
Per RCD via e-mail, the kit was made for a smaller rotor (2002 and back), the newer Ford spindles that will be replaced (2003 and up) move the rotor outward hence the larger rotor. The RCD Spindles move the rotor back to 2002 spec so you need the smaller rotor.

Now you've added a new twist, is there a difference between the upper and lower a-arms or only ball-joints and will the kit bolt up and work OK ??????

This is getting to be too much, I think a D44 is the way to; is there a kit for that ?

Oh ya, at this point the Superlift is not an option.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Now you've added a new twist, is there a difference between the upper and lower a-arms or only ball-joints and will the kit bolt up and work OK ??????
The data I've found shows the ball joint changed in 2000. IIRC, the later ball joints were bigger but nothing else changed. I would take RCD's advice and swap the rotors if that's all you need to do.

This is getting to be too much, I think a D44 is the way to; is there a kit for that ?
Nope. You're on your own. I can tell you that '76-'77 Bronco D44 is the right width for a Ranger and has disc brakes. '71-'75 Broncos also have D44's but they have drum brakes, not that it isn't possible to install discs on one. Swapping one onto a pre-98 Ranger is easier because they have coil spring front suspension. On a later model you are looking at fabbing up a lot of stuff to make a SAS work because it has torsion bars instead of coils. Most likely you will end up using coil-overs and coming up with control arms and a track bar and steering on your own, but that's just an educated guess on my part. One of the links below shows a leaf spring conversion.

These links might help a little bit, but they apply to TTB Rangers:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44_leafspring_conversion.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/winter2007/chico4544_dana44.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/sas.html

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/sas_lift_samples.html

Some later model info here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63

Last edited:

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Thanks for the info.

I will look at it and do some thinking.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Anyone else have any input on the subject of RCD 5" suspension Lift for the 2003 Ranger Edge.

I am still looking for the best price. so anything on the install would be appreciated.
If you have installed this lift (I have read a few install threads here on the TRS) and how you felt about the pkg and what the overall outcome was, i.e. ride, performance on and off trail, things like that.

Thanks a head of time.

Last edited:

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Some things needing to be said regarding the RCD...

600lb coils: sag like a MOTHER only 6months after install. Literally.....you are riding on bumpstops. Most upgrade to 750lb coils when the 600lb ones sag.

Unbraced diff drop bracket: The driverside drop bracket is 1/4" plate...no reinforcements. Over time, this bracket will snap....like in these pics. The fix is to weld a 1/4 x 3/4 gusset on the bracket. This will eliminate the breaking of the bracket...

And when that brace goes, it'll take out the front shaft's rear joint with it...

Brakes: You will need to get 98-02 Rotors for it. RCD doesn't have provisions in their knuckles for both sized rotors...only the smaller. Superlift has provisions for this (dual holes right next to eachother for both sized rotors). 02 and older rotors will slide right onto your existing hubs/bearing assy.

Install: Welding is required to brace the shock tower. Instead of a shock being held there, your trucks entire weight is being supported there...reinforcement brackets are included in the RCD....welding required for those. Everything else is bolt-on.

MANY have installed the RCD 5" on their 03+ trucks without any issues. Ford did change the passenger side upper arm, but that doesn't matter...the 'stud' of the joints are the same. It's a good kit and the drop crossmembers are ALOT better looking than the superlift. I'm running a superlift only because i got it used for $450. If I went new, i'd be rockin' an RCD.

I'm considering ditching the torsion bars and running coil-overs on my Superlift kit. You can do this using bracketry from RCD(if they even still have spare parts) and a Jeep upper shock conversion kit. YES it's possible. I helped do a conversion just last week.

*sidenote: Big04Ranger has been solid axled for like 2 years now. lol.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
WoW !

:icon_surprised:

Fx4wannabe01,

A lot of really good info especially the bracket breaking and the brace, good go!

Thanks and I will do the bracing when I do the install, I like preventative maintenance.

Did you do the driveshaft replacement also ?

What about the axle shaft/CVs any thing happening there, are there replacements in the world to get stronger in that area ?

Thanks again,

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Anyone know of Axle shaft/CV replacements that are stronger than the stockers.

Looking to do this swap once and want to get it right the first time.

thanks

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Anyone know of Axle shaft/CV replacements that are stronger than the stockers.
Only Dixon Brothers as far as I know, and they are longer than the stockers so you'd likely have to use their whole setup. Otherwise maybe get some stronger but stock length ones custom-made for you.

brandan78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
FX4wannabe01,
do you know where I can get the 700lb springs from? I'd also like to know a little more about the bracket breaking. Which bracket is that and how hard is it to get that out once the kit is installed? I've had my kit now for about 7 years and this is the first time I've ever seen anything about the bracket breaking. One of my rear shocks has also started leaking. Do you know the specs for the replacements? Also, should I be thinking about replacing the entire front coil overs due to the age of the kit?

Thanks in advance

brandan78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals