• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

crappy lift brackets?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so some time ago i grabbed some unknown manufacturer lift brackets off an older ranger. i put them on the pickup and realized that the passenger side shaft wasnt hitting the hubs, i could lock in the hub and it would still free wheel.

after looking, and measuring i found that the drivers side tire was about an inch or more pushed out and thats the reason for the shaft not contacting the hub.

i tryed to shim it up and bend the tabs on the bracket a bit, and i got pulled over about a 1/4 inch or so.

is this a common occurance?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I don't see how lift brackets would affect anything to do with the axles and/or hubs... :icon_confused:

Are you saying the shaft isn't engaging with the hub? (like it's slid inward away from the hub?) If this is the case, then more than likely you are missing parts that hold the axle shaft in the spindle (specifically the splined thrust washer and C-clip, parts #61 & 62 on this diagram).
The driverside wheel being out of position would be a separate issue.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If the lift bracket hole geometry was off to one side, wouldn't that create an axle shaft that was essentially too short? Like as if the axle beam pivot holes were an inch or two farther apart.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it pushes the drivers side(pumpkin) further over, which means coming out of the pumpkin the passenger side iether contacts the hub, or the pumpkin. too short to do both.

i believe the driver side drop bracket to be the bad one.

for now i put the original brackets back on and raised the coil bucket up 1" and it works fine, but if i want more lift ill need a new bracket or to figure out this one. but it looks normal to me.

i guess when it was on i should have measure from the hub to the bracket.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the axle brackets were far enough off to create an issue with the axle shaft, you should see it as improper engagement of the slip-yoke spline (bottoming out, or it pulling apart, depending which way the bracket is bent).

The axle pulling out of the hub and/or diff means a retaining clip or something is missing (and you don't have a circlip-eliminator spring in place on the shaft).

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the axle brackets were far enough off to create an issue with the axle shaft, you should see it as improper engagement of the slip-yoke spline (bottoming out, or it pulling apart, depending which way the bracket is bent).

The axle pulling out of the hub and/or diff means a retaining clip or something is missing (and you don't have a circlip-eliminator spring in place on the shaft).

i have removed the c clip inside the pumpkin, and i have a spring on the slip yoke spline, and i do not run the clip on the end of the axle shaft. with the original brackets i have no movement in the axle shaft without the c clip on the end of the axle shaft.

i do remember that when i first noticed this, i pulled the 3 shaft pieces as far apart as i could, and there was always atleast 1 spot where the splines wouldnt engage. whether it be the pumpkin, the slip yoke or the hub. i did put the c clip on the end of the shaft at the hub but then it would not go into the pumpkin far enough to engage the splines.

also im not sure if this matters but the kit came off of an 80s ranger. the the d28 had a shorter track width?

ill try and find the pictures i took for referance.

Last edited:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I believe the D28 beams are shorter.

Is the slip yoke binding up maybe? (I've seen occasionally where water will get in past the boot and rust causing the spline to freeze up)

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe the D28 beams are shorter.

Is the slip yoke binding up maybe? (I've seen occasionally where water will get in past the boot and rust causing the spline to freeze up)
i was unable to find the pictures i had

now that you say something i do remember that after pulling that lift off that i did have to pull apart and clean up the splines on the slip-yoke, i added gear oil to them and now it moves real freely. pretty sure it got pressed in at some point during the install and i just hadnt noticed untill i pulled the lift off.

perhaps ill put the lift brackets back on and see what happens. running 33's with a 2 inch lift, i drag over most everything any ways.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The slip yoke needs an extreme-pressure CV joint type grease. Don't skimp on it, fill up the yoke & the boot with several tablespoons worth (getting it down into the root of all the splines). Hose clamps work well to secure the boot if you don't have any metal band clamps like Ford originally used, just make sure the clamp head clears the edge of the axle beam (zip ties are worthless for keeping water out though).

If it's badly pitted from rust, I'd suggest replacing the shaft (pits create stress risers, and could prevent the shaft from sliding smoothly)

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The slip yoke needs an extreme-pressure CV joint type grease. Don't skimp on it, fill up the yoke & the boot with several tablespoons worth (getting it down into the root of all the splines). Hose clamps work well to secure the boot if you don't have any metal band clamps like Ford originally used, just make sure the clamp head clears the edge of the axle beam (zip ties are worthless for keeping water out though).

If it's badly pitted from rust, I'd suggest replacing the shaft (pits create stress risers, and could prevent the shaft from sliding smoothly)
does the driveshaft slip-joint use the same type grease? i would assume so. both of these were rusted up to where i had to place them in the vice, and beat the ends off with a bfh. i would have used some type of grease to begin with, but it seems that the gear oil helps to dissolve some of the rust.

when i tryed to reinstall my drive shaft i messed with it for hours trying to bolt it back on, only to fail and throw alot of stuff around, before i realized it would not collapse or extend!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You could probably use ordinary (wheel bearing) grease on a driveshaft slip-yoke (ones that have that bright blue polymer coating on them), but the RH TTB axle yoke I recall specifically calls for CV grease (which is what I've always used).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals