• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I may have just bought my last Ford

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Lots of farmers are leasing equipment nowadays too. Pretty much everything bobby said but x10 for price.

If it breaks, they call the dealer and it is under warranty. Generally doesn't break as often so there is less down time (aka when it is fit to run you are less likely to be broke down) Run it a year or two and trade it in for another minty fresh new one.

$2.50/bu corn and $7/bu soybeans isn't buying many $500k combines.

Other guys keep patching up the DIYable stuff, it is a losing battle after a certain point though.

When it comes to vehicles I am in the later group so far. I wasn't planning on changing u-joints on my F-150 last saturday but I spent last saturday morning changing u-joints. Gotta be careful to not snag yourself on the rusty rocker panels. :icon_thumby:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Everyone is in a different situation and has different preferences. I don't want to lease. I don't like the payments. I will continue to try to pay cash when I need a new vehicle. If I do end up making payments on a vehicle. It will be payments toward owning the vehicle. I don't like making payments for something that isn't mine or won't be mine when I finish the payments. I also don't like apartments or condominiums.

I did lease cars for a few years. But that was a special situation. It was the employee lease program at work. It was a lot cheaper than a normal lease. Taxes, insurance, maintenance, everything was included in the payments. All I had to do was buy fuel and drive. I drive 60 miles each day round trip to work. Averaged 400 miles per week on the car. It was nice to know I had a new car all the time, reliable and ready to use, loaded BMWs. And they wanted the car back in less than 9000 miles. Some models I only drove for 3000 or 4000 miles before turning them in for the next one. But it was still more than I want to pay for a car each month. And I couldn't modify the vehicles. No trailer hitch. No roof rack. No bumper stickers or magnets. Etc. So I got out of the program. I'm driving a 33 year old Mercedes right now and it's cheaper. Just takes a little more work. My wife is in a 4 yr old Honda.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
exactly eric.

my 88 ranger is my primary vehicle. its not in top shape because it does not need to be...of course its gonna bite me in the ass sooner or later.

my wife indicated she would rather drive a cash vehicle once this deal is up on the explorer (got a kia van that needs a motor) so we can just save and pay cash...one payment...lease or buy.

i dont believe that will happen(her driving a old pos) very long but its supposedly the plan.

so....here i am thinking of buying a brand new ranger in the mean time...:icon_rofl:

then i will be in snorangers shoes. only worse...cause i will likely void any warranty 10 minutes after i get to my garage

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
then i will be in snorangers shoes. only worse...cause i will likely void any warranty 10 minutes after i get to my garage
What's a warranty?

sno....in a time of just in time shipping and demand production...not sure what auto company you think will not have the issue on the top production model...

:dunno:
The issue isn't that they dont have the axle available...The issue is how they treat the customer. If they cant supply the part, at least supply a loaner vehicle.

Last edited:

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
In case anyone is interested in how it looks now:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

my good man.....:icon_thumby:

100 percent about putting you in a loaner.

but...in the general, its an insurance issue. in this case...ford not getting a new axle out is bull shit over 20-30 days..and you should be in an exec package due to that issue..

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have to be honest here... I actually leased it as pictured. So I do have a warranty.

Side note: If you look closely at the trailer, you will notice the spare tire is on a 14" Ranger rim. That pic was taken a few days after I got the trailer, now all 3 are Ranger rims.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
oh yeah....lots of options leasing. this is a case where my odlest daughter almost got rammed by chrysler with her jeep repair...so stay on their ass about using oem parts.

she is in a ford 150 now....hopefully no accidents.

what i will do... warranty probably is not going to be an option:D:D

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
In case anyone is interested in how it looks now:

It looks like you improved your turning radius. As long as it is a right hand turn. lol:icon_twisted:

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We were in an accident on 4th of July this last summer and everyone was ok and had insurance and we only got a rental for a few days and that was it even though our vehicle was totaled and we didn't have a back up vehicle that could haul me, my wife and our 4 kids. Can't fit 6 people in a ranger or a pt cruiser especially when one is in a car seat. So we had a rental for 3 or 4 days. We had to find a new vehicle within that time frame that could fit everyone and still be a decent ride. We actually got lucky since allstate put 3x what I paid for the totaled van in my bank account, found a nice car on craigslist from a dealer. Paid in cash, got a new car that was newer and nicer than what we were in. Moral of the story was insurance didn't care that we lost our only vehicle that could fit everyone. They didn't want to extend the rental since they paid us for the totaled van.If I were you I would just keep calling ford dealers and see who can ship that part to the body shop. As long as its an OEM part then the insurance should pay it since you have been over the estimated delivery time for that part. If not, you can try a salvaged part with the acceptance that when the OEM part comes in they swap it. Get that part in writing if you can. I learned its good to get people names when you talk to them and write it down so you can fall back on someone who "gave you their word" on something happening. Good luck with all that. BTW we are still working with insurance on our claim for payments on everything else. Yes we got paid for our vehicle but we had 6 people (me and my family) get checked out at the hospital so we are waiting to get reimbursed for the medical bills.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i definitely wouldnt hesitate having the body shop install a used housing for the time being. i mean, its a 2017.... how used can said axle be if pulled from a truck with front damage?

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its a 2017.... how used can said axle be if pulled from a truck with front damage?
Said axle could come from a '15 F-150 as it is identical to a '17 one. So, you could be getting an axle with ~150k miles (assuming 50k/yr and one of the 1st of current generation).

And I would be some p!$$ed if an axle that used was put under my next to new truck, especially if it failed just after warranty expired. And it would be challenging to tell the state of the axle without getting inside it.

Therefore, I'd be waiting on new axle.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Said axle could come from a '15 F-150 as it is identical to a '17 one. So, you could be getting an axle with ~150k miles (assuming 50k/yr and one of the 1st of current generation).

And I would be some p!$$ed if an axle that used was put under my next to new truck, especially if it failed just after warranty expired. And it would be challenging to tell the state of the axle without getting inside it.

Therefore, I'd be waiting on new axle.
i get that. but you can findout the specs of said wrecked truck and pick one from a newer truck with less miles. and i didnt mean use it in place forever. i mean buy it out of pocket and run it but still wait for insurance to get you your new one. drive your truck till new one comes in. when it does swap and sell the old one again.
i dont know im just spit balling here

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It’s technically not his truck. Lease may dictate how it is repaired.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It’s technically not his truck. Lease may dictate how it is repaired.
If that's the case, isn't it the dealers problem. Just get a replacement truck to fulfill the lease agreement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals