• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 B2 Need cat removal and install advise please.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
So my muffler well was no longer a muffler. It was stock 30 year old muffler (as per my other post I think this whole thing is) and it had a fist sized hole form in it. Tail pipe was rusted out and it wouldn't pass DEQ so I said screw it. I ordered a new system from Macutoparts.com for 320$. It showed up. Looks rough but I cleaned it up nice.

The problem is the old system. 30 years was not kind. A sawzall and 4 hours later I have everything removed BUT the flange that connects the cat to the exhaust. for obvious reason I need to adjoining flange intact so the new cat can bolt on. Problem is 30 years of rust and corrosion and the 3 bolts are fused.

My current plan is to try to get the sawzall between the 2 flanges and just hope I cut the bolts since the old gasket is pretty much rotted to just around the bolts. But there is a problem reaching bolt #3 on top nearest the frame. I don't see any way to easily reach it to do anything to it. I mean even when I get this whole thing out I don't know how I am going to get the new bolt and nut in.

Anyone ran into this and has some pointers? Before I use the heavy method I'm going to give the torch one more go as well since it may burn off some rust to help get the sawzall in if all else fails. Where I cut the old cat off there is about 2-3 inches of pipe left.

Thanks for reading.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
This is not a fun job, as you already seem to know.

Unless they are already pulling apart I wouldn't try the sawzall between the flanges. I have tried it and mostly turned into a waste of time. It didn't get my exhaust apart and it did damaged the flanges.

I would just try burning the nuts off if you have a torch. I don't go after exhaust without the torch anymore.

As for getting it back together, still not fun. I usually stick bolt #3 in first, so that the cat can be swung down out of it's normal position for better access to get it started. Then swing it up and get the other bolts in, tighten the outer ones first, then you (well me) can get one arm up over the top of the cat to get a wrench on the back side and use an extension and swivel to get a socket on the front side. It can be done with hand tools but power is your friend here.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
There is enough room to get a saw blade in between them but ill go for the torch method and see how it fairs. I'll also take your advice on the bolts as well. Pray for me for this may be what makes me throw a wrench this week lol.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If your flanges are pulled apart then the saw might just work. I tried it on one where the bolts were rusted so badly that they looked more like rivets and ended up damaging both flanges badly.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a leak between the manifold and the y-pipe.

The big "IF" - if the bolts at the manifold come out it looks like an easy job and then just bolt in all new stuff. "IF" they break off...

I'm with adsm, torch if I had one.

I'm taking mine to an exhaust shop, over the phone quote ~$600 for all new from the manifolds back. Whether or not they'll stick to that once they see it I do not know.

While you're there you might want to put in a new 02 sensor.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This might be one time I paid a pro to disconnect the exhaust. I would still install it myself.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm taking mine to an exhaust shop, over the phone quote ~$600 for all new from the manifolds back. Whether or not they'll stick to that once they see it I do not know.

While you're there you might want to put in a new 02 sensor.
That's not a bad price.

Also, you make a very good point. The oxygen sensor will never be more easily accessible than while the cat is out.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Its only 40$ for a new o2 sensor but buying the new exhaust set up broke me for the month. I'm about to go in with the torch now and see what comes of it. I'll post an update either when the old stuff is off and IF I get defeated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good luck!

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have been defeated... sorta...

so I ground off one bolt. Snapped the nut off the other but it was clean but the top one I couldnt reach with a ratchet and cheater bar to snap off. I ended up cutting the exhaust flange off. While doing so the third bolt vibrated loose...But only after I had cut 1 pipe and was 75% of the way through the other.

I am using exhaust connectors with high temp 2400 degree epoxy. I just sat down to shower and first wanted to give this update. Thanks for all the advise I just didn't have the luck with me this time but this connector thing was told to me by a friend who has done this to many of his cars so I have a good feeling about this.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
New update. So with all the issues I decided to install the tail pipe and muffler and test fit the cat in place..Don't order from Macautoparts.com the flange to connect the muffler is rotated out of alignment. Also even before cutting off the exhaust connection flange it would have been too short to fit properly.

Cyrus9586

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l v6
Transmission
Automatic
Okay final post for this thread. Its in. Took a couple pipe fittings 3 brackets a lot of swearing and I will need to get some JB steelstick to patch the couple minor leaks it has but its in. Thanks for all the advise and help on this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals