• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

p1443 code iam STUMPED!!!

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
my buddy has a check engine light on in his 96 ranger.. its a 4x4 4.0 auto
We picked the truck up with 73k about a month or so ago.. we took the intake manifold of to replace the valve cover gaskets.. after it was all back together truck ran decent.. well we noticed at idle some times it would just die expectingly.. so it finally through a code.. well the egr tube wasn't seated all the way so that was a easy fix.. truck ran awesome for about a week.. then it put out another code.. p1443.. well ive been doing a TON of reading an most are saying 99.9% of the time this code comes up because of the purge sensor.. well today we went to napa an got a new purge sensor.. put it on an cleared the code.. i have one of the code scanner tools.. about 2 miles later it came back on.. but one thing i noticed was the new sensor was IDENTICAL to the factory ford one.. looked like some one took a dremel an etched the ford an part number off it.. so after this light came back on i took the purge valve off my splash truck an put it on this other truck.. an the check engine light is still coming on.. i dont get why.. truck has a new gas cap so thats tight..

Could if be that the sensor that we got was junk to begin with?

Also would it hurt any if the line that comes off the sensor an goes to the intake is just plain ole rubber line or does it have to be that vacuum line stuff?

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
well i think we sorta got the p1443 code sorted out.. the line that goes from the sensor to the intake i replaced with rubber hose an the vacuum was pinching the hose together.. so i bought some 1/4 gas line hose an that seemed to work.. well now theirs another code.. p1445 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit High Input

WTF would trigger this to come one?

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also note that there is another component in there that you didn't mention (or i missed it in your post). The sensor is there but also a Purge Valve. I have replaced both on my 1995 along with some of the hoses/vac lines. Never saw that second code you mentioned though, I only had the P1443.

You may have better luck going with OEM parts from your local Ford place. ??

T.

fordman49450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Most of the time, it's the purge flow sensor itself. you can purchase it all as an assembly, this consist of a new purge valve, new purge flow sensor and the hoses. you just unhook the hose from the throttle body and the charcoal cannister, and then install the new unit and hook up the electrical connectors. If you dont want to replace the entier assy, just get a purge flow sensor. it's the black sensor that has a hose on each side of it and an electrical connector. Dont confuse it with the round cylindrical flow solenoid.

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
Most of the time, it's the purge flow sensor itself. you can purchase it all as an assembly, this consist of a new purge valve, new purge flow sensor and the hoses. you just unhook the hose from the throttle body and the charcoal cannister, and then install the new unit and hook up the electrical connectors. If you dont want to replace the entier assy, just get a purge flow sensor. it's the black sensor that has a hose on each side of it and an electrical connector. Dont confuse it with the round cylindrical flow solenoid.

BOth have been replaced.. the sensor is BRAND NEW an the cylinder flow solenoid i took off my other truck to see if that was the culprit.. cuz it worked just fine on the other one

HAPPY_RANGER_GUY

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
... you can purchase it all as an assembly, this consist of a new purge valve, new purge flow sensor and the hoses. you just unhook the hose from the throttle body and the charcoal cannister, and then install the new unit and hook up the electrical connectors.
That's what I did and the problem vanished. It was a little pricey but what the heck. Interesting that your code changed on ya.

T.

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
i still cant figure out as to why its throwing a new code.. its bugging the ever living crap outta me

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
Did you check to make sure the charcol canister isn't depositing crud in the lines? We have seen the lines get full of crap and that will cause the valves to stick open or closed. Most of the time we will replace the canister and the valve when getting evap codes.

Derek

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to hear you're having this much trouble with the code.

Guess I got lucky because when it happened to me all I had to do was change out the old vaccum lines and the purge valve. The code never came back after that. Let us know what you find out. Good luck.

Allen

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
well we just ordered a new valve today .. so when it comes in tues the truck will have a new valve an sensor.. right now i took the old valve off an put my 2.3 valve on it an its still on... we were thinking that the amount the computer fluxuates between the 2.3 an 4.0 might be slightly differenent enough to be throwing the code.. also the line that goes from the sensor to the intake we replaced with some 1/4 gas line.. i think its stiff enough as to where it wont flex..

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
replaced the sensor an the valve.. an still NOTHING light is still on an throwin the code.. iam completely stumped...

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There ia a gross leak in the evap system. Most likely the vacuum line from the valve to the intake manifold. I know you've checked the lines but check them again.

jakester32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Any luck on this problem? Mine is popping the p1445 code as well... the haynes manual doesnt list this code.

My symptoms are a rough idle and about 25-35% decrease in MPG. No stalling though, just seems to be some lack of power.. but that could be the aging motor.

btw... I have a 96 4.0 with 225k miles (may have a swapped motor.. I dont know bought it at an action used with 150k miles on it.)

Thanks

Destroyer000

MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
still havent had any luck..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals