• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2004 Ranger no spark. Help!

Rangerjunky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi, I’m new to this forum so I don’t know if this problem has already been addressed but I bought a 04 ranger 4.0 that needed new timing components. So I pulled the engine and installed all new timing components and new gaskets all around. The truck also had been wrecked at one point I replaced the radiator support frame, header panel ect. I could only work on it in my spare time so it took from September till now to put it all back together. But alas, upon completion of engine installation I discovered it does not fire. I ended up replacing the CKP, CMP, and coil pack with no results. I checked the timing again and made sure it was perfect. After doing some research online I started doing some tests of which I won’t take the time to list all of them now. I back probed the CKP wires at the PCM and got a reading of around .6 volts AC. At this point I’ll insert that the when you turn the key on the CEL comes on and then when you start cranking it reads RPM for about 1 second and CEL goes out but then the RPM drops to zero and CEL comes back on. I checked for injector pulse and it does the same thing, pulses for a second and then nothing. Because I have power from the CKP I thought It might be the ECM, so I replaced it with a junkyard unit and got it programmed to the PATS at my local Ford dealer. Needless to say it didn’t make a difference. I’m not sure what to do next, maybe a circuit shorting to ground somewhere? I would appreciate any input on the matter, thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals