• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Flashing Check Engine Light Makes Truck Lose Considerable Power

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 06 3.0 ranger. for about a month now it has been acting up. I've had the check engine light on for about 3 months but hadn't gotten around to checking the codes. Well, a month ago i'm sitting at a red light and suddenly the check engine light started blinking. Light turned green and I hit the gas, It barely moves. I have to keep pressing the gas until it gains power again. So i took it to the mechanic. I had him change the air filter, gas filter, spark plugs, liquids and reseal the differential because it had a leak. The problem persisted, so I went back. He told me that cylinder 3 and 5 are misfiring and that he thinks it's the injectors. Fine, unfortunatly its a $400+ fix and I don't want to waste it if it's not the issue. Anyway, the problem has gotten so bad that it happens on every red light that's longer than 15 seconds. I literally have to shut the truck off and restart it so it can go. Otherwise I have everyone honking at me while the truck is powering up. It's really annoying and irritating. Also, everytime I pump gas the light blinks as i'm leaving the gas station. Everytime!!! perhaps this can be a clue. The truck has 116k miles on it and i'm seriously considering an engine rebuild instead of wasting money on guesses from mechanics. Anyway, I know you guys are the experts and perhaps you can help me with my problem, or atleast shine some light on it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. thanks guys.

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
first, remove the coil pack, and test it. I'd be willing to bet it is the problem. also get a can of seafoam, and add it to the gas tank, to clean up the injectors. It won't hurt anything, and might save you $400.

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i'm a noob at under the hood fixes. any write up anywhere on how I can remove the coil pack and test it. thanks for your quick response BTW.

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
AutoZone near you?

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

TimR

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
They'll check it for you, and should be able to loan you the tools. They also sell Seafoam! Just remember where the plug wires go...

:icon_idea:

kanibuz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I hoe they still do that around here. Last time I went in there to borrow their code reader, they told me they were no longer loaning them out. I'll check it out tomorrow. Will return with findings. thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals