• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Truck wont start

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Trouble with fuel pump

I was pulling into work on tues and my truck just stopped running and wont start. Thankfully i work in a mechanics shop so i put it on the hoist and found the full pump wiring harness pig tail was broken. So i replaced it and the fuel pump is still not working. It is getting power but the sending unit isnt, im pulling out the tank tomorrow to look at the pump ( which i replaced a year ago along with the sending unit). All the fuses and the relay are fine and the inertia switch is fine, aside from a bad fuel pump can anyone think of what else might be causing this? I need to get this done by the end of tomorrow or ill have to tow it to my school to work on it which id rather not have to do.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Now when you say the sending unit, do you mean the fuel level sender or the in-tank fuel pump?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A pump needs a good ground as well as the 12vDC.
You found a broken connection on the fuel pump wiring harness, the ground wire should be in that same harness do you check that.
Also test the 12v and ground wires going to the fuel pump in that same harness, use an ohm meter, if it shows "open" no connection then pump motor is indeed bad.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just fixed it, the fuel pump was working but hardly putting out any pressure, just replaced it and it runs fine now

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just fixed it, the fuel pump was working but hardly putting out any pressure, just replaced it and it runs fine now
Glad you are on the road again :icon_thumby:

What was the brand of the fuel pump that only lasted a year, be good to know what to avoid.

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What was the brand of the fuel pump that only lasted a year, be good to know what to avoid.
I cant remember what brand but it was the cheapest i could get, came in a black and yellow box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals