• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

To remove or not to remove the front/rear sway bar?

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well in March I am going to the local ORV Park and right now the B2 is in the shop trying to figure out why it won't run. My B2 is a stock rig with mud terrain tires. Nothing fancy they are just 30" bighorns. I know with modified rigs you remove the sway bar and it allows the axles more range of flex but not sure if it will do much for my stock rig. So I guess my question is for this trip would it be better to remove the sway bars or to just leave them on? Thanks!

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
You could make some sway bar quick disconnects, so you could have it for road driving but be able to easily disconnect them for offroading.

Sent from, wait how did this get here?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Those sway bars are there for a reason leave them. They provide more stability in higher speed turns and in off camber situations as well. I had front/rear sway bars on my 96 jeep grand cherokee and I was amazed how stable it was compared to the same model without them. My 84 Bronco 2 has them as well, and it does in fact help with the stability of these narrow trucks.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you need to compare and report back.

CurtisP87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I removed my rear sway bar, and made a quick disconnect for the front so I can disconnect it when wheeling. I feel better having the front one, as stability is a concern with these narrow wheelbase vehicles. That being said, just don't drive it like a sports car. Be conscious around curvy roads and freeways that that's not where the Bii shines, you'll be alright...to your original question, the only way to find out if it will help, is to try it out! A word of caution though, I've heard of these ttb's with no stability bar drooping so low that the spring pops out of the bucket. A lot of people who run without them fashion a limiting strap of some sort to prevent this. Just something to be conscious of. :icon_thumby:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
well I would only remove the sway bars for the weekend. I am trailering my B2 to the park so I won't be doing much highway driving without the sway bars. Maybe to the gas station or something but no high speed driving or anything. I just wasn't sure if removing the sway bars would help me in the different offroad terrains I would face.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You dont have to take them all the way off just unhook the links. Make sure the bolts come out at home then when you get there it only takes a few min to unhook them and you can try it at the park both ways.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
That's a good idea. I will try that and see what the difference is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals