• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Please help me select an better gear ration

jstruthers92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have an 85 ranger 4x4 2.8L 5sp with a 4in suspension lift and 31s under it. My only problem is that with the stock gears the truck is slower and doesnt do so hot on the highway either. she struggles to stay around 55 floored and even cruising the town i run out of gear fairly fast. Id say i shift into 2nd around 12mph, 3rd at 25, 4th around 35, 5th around 40 to 45 and she only goes about 55 topped out in 5th. My buddy had this truck before me when it was bone stock and he said it used to be alot quicker until he threw on the lift n tires. This is my DD so im really pressing for a solution for better drivability/speed, and mpgs. ha theres no reason a small 2.8 v6 should only be gettin around 10mpgs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Ive been lookin on my own but havent really been sure of anything.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
First we need to know what gears you have now to give any help on what you should go to....

But regardless of gearing, it sounds like your 2.8 is not running right. My 2.9 can easily do 70+mph if I lean on the gas pedal, and its turning 31s with 3.73 gears. I typically set the cruise control at 110km/hr (which is just under 70mph) and it, well, cruises. lol

86MUDRCJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've 33's on my truck and its never been that slow.

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Im running 3.73 on 33s on the 2.8. I have an automatic c5 trans and i can run 65-70 all day on flat land, but my rpms are at like 2750-3100

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Trust me, this isnt a daily driver, not unless you are really good at wrenching, better'n I wanna be. You want MPG, you are gonna need to lower the truck and put 235 75 15s on it. Or even smaller. Let alone the fact it is a 28 yr old Ford. I wish you the best of luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals