• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 Ford Ranger Transmission (Automatic) Advice

evandaltman

Reaction score
Hey!

Back in November, I got an AMAZING deal and bought my '96 Ranger for $1,000, with only 84,000 miles on it. It has no rust and I completely restored all of the interior. From November to May, the mileage jumped up to 123,000. I pile the miles on because I worked on two presidential campaigns which required tons of driving per day. I've kept this truck perfectly maintained, the first problem has been the transmission.

It started when, one day, I went to leave for work and my truck wouldn't go in reverse. This lasted for about a month and a half. Then, another morning, it started to go in reverse, but will no longer go forward.

I'm a poor college student, so I'm hoping that something can be done instead of rebuilding the transmission. Do any of you know if, from what I described, I'm screwed and have to fork out the money, or could I try a few things first?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

What engine and is it 2WD Ranger?

You should have a 4R44E automatic in a 1996 Ranger with 2.3l or 3.0l engine
If you have the 4.0l engine then a 4R55E automatic

Good transmissions, but like ALL automatics they run on Fluid Pressure
Reverse needs the highest pressure, 150+ PSI to engage
Which is why Reverse not engaging or is slow to engage is often first sign of internal leaks, losing internal Pressure.

Because of the low miles the truck probably sat for long periods, without fluid circulation the seals and gaskets dry out and crack, same happens in the engine, valve guide seals

You can try using an Automatic trans fluid treatment, like Lucas ATF conditioner/treatment
There are many makers of these fluids, they all work the same, they swell seals and gasket to try and slow or stop the internal leakage bringing up the internal Pressure, also a friction modifier to help the clutches engage better.

While these can get you a few more miles..........if they work at all, transmission will need some work.

No forward gears is most likely a problem with the one-way clutch, which requires full rebuild.

You can look for a used transmission, needs to match your engine model and 2WD or 4WD which ever you have
4R44E is just the model number of the transmission, so all 4R44Es won't fit a 2.3l engine, only a 4R44E FROM a 2.3l engine will fit

Drakeh69

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am in the middle of putting a new transmission in my 96 ford ranger 2wd 3.0l v6. I'm woundering if I have to remove the exhaust system in order to allow the tranny to drop? Or do I just need to shift it around to get it to come out ?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am in the middle of putting a new transmission in my 96 ford ranger 2wd 3.0l v6. I'm woundering if I have to remove the exhaust system in order to allow the tranny to drop? Or do I just need to shift it around to get it to come out ?
You do not have to drop the exhaust, but, it's a lot easier to put the trans back in if you do. You can also flatten the pinch weld on the transmission tunnel/firewall to give you more clearance.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals