• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery of Check Engine Light: light works, but doesn't turn on with code

jblc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a mystery with my Check Engine Light: the light works (illuminates on vehicle startup along with the other lights, so it's not burned out), but doesn't turn on with a code.

I've searched these forums with no related case...

This is perhaps related: my Check Gauge light also doesn't come on when fuel is low, but it ALSO successfully illuminates on vehicle startup. I didn't worry about this though, until my truck didn't pass SMOG check because there was a pending code that I didn't know about.

I can fix the problem associated with the code (p1443), but also need to figure out why CEL and low fuel lights aren't turning on, when the lights themselves are functional. Strange!

(1997; 3.0L; 2WD; 5-speed Auto Trans; 240k miles)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The light didn't come on with the pending code because the code was still pending.

The computer has to see a problem once to set a pending code, twice in consecutive drive cycles to turn the light on, and not see the problem for 40 consecutive drive cycles to turn the light off.

Your issue would appear to be intermittent.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals