• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

390 Big block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Once my 4.0 goes, i'd like to do something different than a 5.0, or the somewhat less common 351 swaps.

I always liked the 390 big block, and think it would be a nice powerplant to drop in a ranger. I'm sure someone out there has done this before, and i'm curious how it turned out and what was done in the process.

Still in the planning phases, just trying to gather more info. Any input is much appreciated. Oh yeah, and no suggestions for bowtie boat anchors please. :icon_thumby:

:icon_welder::beer:

...eye candy...

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
do it, my friend had a 390 he was gonna give me for my truck but i decided to stick with the 460. i think a 390 would be sweet in a ranger..

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Once my 4.0 goes, i'd like to do something different than a 5.0, or the somewhat less common 351 swaps.

I always liked the 390 big block, and think it would be a nice powerplant to drop in a ranger. I'm sure someone out there has done this before, and i'm curious how it turned out and what was done in the process.

Still in the planning phases, just trying to gather more info. Any input is much appreciated. Oh yeah, and no suggestions for bowtie boat anchors please. :icon_thumby:

:icon_welder::beer:

...eye candy...

390 was and still is a good engine, but there are better choices for a Ranger. Like a 351C. Same output, but in a smaller, lighter package.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is all about the 429/460 engines, the 385 series, nothing to do with the FE series. I really don't know of anyone who has done the FE swap other than one who did it for hill climbs, ran the stacks right up thru the hood. Duster, how much you want to spend? These things are not cheap to build- up going into a car they were made for. Just see a lot of fabrication needed and a whole lot of drive-train/suspension improvements required. Those motors have a great amount of torque but the HP is easy to match with any stroked 351. Even a cheap 390 gets expensive. Shoot me a PM down here in Amherst, know of "someone" who has a virgin bore 428 with matching big spline C-6.
Dave

Last edited:

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Now a 428 would be awesome too. I just want an engine that's powerful, and different than most other swaps. I'd definitely be interested in the 428. Right now it's whatever is available, the rest will just have to be worked out.

Total cost? A couple thousand. I can do most of the work myself. If the engine is a good running 428 with low mileage, I may just leave it as is and not rebuild it. It'll have plenty enough power for a ranger anyways. Just gotta figure out the rest of the driveline and match it up with the proper manual gearbox...

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if gas mileage is much of a concern, but there is no overdrive manual transmission that will bolt up to a 390.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know if gas mileage is much of a concern, but there is no overdrive manual transmission that will bolt up to a 390.

How about the Tremec 500/600? That's a strong enough trans. As far as bellhousings, lots to pick from, this is the first one I found in 30 sec's of looking.
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Ford-FE-352-390-427-428-Steel-Bellhousing-T5-and-TKO,8353.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase
Dave
(Be down in Rockford the first weekend of Feb for the Herring Breakfast at the Swithoid club. Nothing like creamed Herring and Bloody Marys for breakfast. Them Sweds know how to live)

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 390's are great, but as said expensive to build and a b!tch to work on.

there rated at 325hp stock moving a 4500pd thunderbird and they move those cars just fine.

for an automatic trans, use the c6, the fmx/c4 doesnt fair well with these engines.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well since this would be going in your later model Ranger, that means some good wiring. So with that in mind, how about doing the tri-power set-up with the small block like Baddad has? Haven't seen that in a Ranger. Would fit in great, headers and mounts and front dress all avaible. Still looking for something different with not so much power but totally different would be a Flathead. There really is a large aftermarket for them right now. Alum blocks, OHV conversions, blowers, OD transmission conversions.
Dave

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a '51 flathead with offenhauser 3 deuce setup, running through glasspacks :drool:

or a supercharged y-block (272, 292, 312) engine in there :drool:

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i must say, there really is an element of pure badassness that comes with the use of an FE series or y block engine.

if i had a spare ranger to mess around with, that would be my next project for sure.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Um, yes there is. Tremec's will, with the addition of a 1" spacer between the bell and transmission. And then there's the late 70's 3+1 OD Toploader, that will go right into an FE bell. (and just in case you argue the gear spread sucks in this one, that's a non issue with the 390's torque) Then there was a Borg-Warner 3 + 1 OD transmission also that was used behind the FE's in the60's.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well since this would be going in your later model Ranger, that means some good wiring. So with that in mind, how about doing the tri-power set-up with the small block like Baddad has? Haven't seen that in a Ranger.
Dave
HAD. Mine's long since been transplanted into a 77 Comet. The Ranger has an Explorer equivalent 5.0 in it now, only with a carb.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
the 390 is like the most expensive ford engine to build........it's parts don't interchange much=expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals