• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rockers

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, Wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is. I recently bought a 2011 XLY 4wd 5-spd Ranger. I've had my '97 since 2001, and pretty much know my way around it, but this '11 is uncharted to me.
One thing I've noticed is the hollow, and open rockers on it. If I open either front door there's a small oval in the top of the sill, and i can see the ground through it. From under the truck the front of the rockers is also open/exposed, so I can actually see into them. This seems like a good trap for water, dirt, etc, and a good place for it to start rusting. Do folks typically seal these up? I'm in Illinois, and we get a bit of snow, and a bit of salt on the roads. My '97 has started to rust, but overall has held up nicely over the years. I'd like this one to last a good long while too.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pics might help

fangotango306

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
None yet
Transmission
Automatic
The 08 i had had open rockers. I was told by a ford service manager it was to allow air in to keep them dry so moisture and rust doesnt form like the earlier trucks. Mine had a factory clear rock gaurd? Sprayed over the rockers and inside all the oval holes.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
rockers cant rust if there is not metal to rust. the old rockers rusted so bad because they WEREN'T cut out on the bottom which allowed everything to sit and cause the metal to rust. Mine has the cut rockers and the truck is 20 years old and rocks are in great shape. I would leave them be.

vbrad511

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 97's rockers are fine. I made sure to spraybomb undercoater on the bottom of the truck religiously for the first few years I had it. Guess I'll blast these with it too...or...I've been reading about "Fluid Film". Would that be a better option? I know I'd have to redo it every year, but that's not a problem.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
My 98 reg cab has no rockers at all, sitting on a full chassis they are not needed for the reg cab, I'm guessing that the supercab has the *open* rockers for the sake of support for the rear door?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Seems like out here, anyway, most Rangers newer than '93 don't develop body cancer or at least not much - radiator core support is the one exception. Frames, however... wow.

The open rockers concept is interesting. I can see them getting packed full of slush, mud, whatever and the typical owner isn't going to pay any attention to that and they'll rust just as bad as enclosed ones. Easier for the rest of us to clean out, though.

If they'd just seal them up correctly to begin with, there would be no problem. The Explorers were really bad about that, while welding in new dog legs on my '92 I found a gap that was there from the factory which allowed water to splash in there off the rear tires... no wonder they rusted out so bad. It's almost like it was intentionally designed that way.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems like out here, anyway, most Rangers newer than '93 don't develop body cancer or at least not much - radiator core support is the one exception. Frames, however... wow.

The open rockers concept is interesting. I can see them getting packed full of slush, mud, whatever and the typical owner isn't going to pay any attention to that and they'll rust just as bad as enclosed ones. Easier for the rest of us to clean out, though.

If they'd just seal them up correctly to begin with, there would be no problem. The Explorers were really bad about that, while welding in new dog legs on my '92 I found a gap that was there from the factory which allowed water to splash in there off the rear tires... no wonder they rusted out so bad. It's almost like it was intentionally designed that way.
Slush won't stay there forever though and going thru a water puddle (once the salt is gone) would probably come close to rinsing it out.

Even if it was sealed, it would have condensation unless it was filled with an inert gas (like double plane windows)

Open and draining is the way to go.

I have also heard not keeping your vehicle in a heated garage is better. When the salt is locked in ice it can't do anything to your vehicle. Melting it every night is a salt bath every night.

No idea how much truth there is to it though.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I have also heard not keeping your vehicle in a heated garage is better. When the salt is locked in ice it can't do anything to your vehicle. Melting it every night is a salt bath every night.

No idea how much truth there is to it though.
Science says this makes sense:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's almost like it was intentionally designed that way.
We have a winner. They are called rot pockets, and they are a feature, not a bug.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals