• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alarm system question.

whitetail101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger xlt 4x4 Supercab it has the Ford factory alarm system, what I am trying to find out is there a quick & easy way to disable this alarm when you want to just turn it of. The little manual says there is a valet switch to turn it of , I can not seem to find this. If anyone could be of any assistance I would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks very much::shok:

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If there is a "valet switch" just for the alarm, it's more likely a dealer-installed instead of a factory-installed system. That means the installer put it where he wanted to; look all around under the driver's dash area for the switch. Does the booklet show you what the switch looks like?

whitetail101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The booklet shows a toggle switch- thanks.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Yeah, pretty sure it's aftermarket. If you can't find the toggle switch, you can drop the driver's side underdash panel, and look for a box with wires, that doesn't look like it's supposed to be there. Then you can sort through the wires and find two that go to the valet switch. Good luck!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
AFAIK, the factory system is just a chip in the key and it makes the horn honk. The only controls are the buttons on the key fob. Anything else is aftermarket.
I bought a used '04 Focus earlier this year with an aftermarket system tied into the factory system. It was such a PITA that I took it back to the dealer to have the alarm taken out (I couldn't tell what wires belonged and what wires didn't).
You couldn't even pump gas without the system arming itself, I'd have to lock it and unlock it just to start it then.

Disturbed_Ranger

Reaction score
On my 02 i bought it with an alarm system just to get the discount on insurance. I got the horn cut so even if it goes off no sound comes out. It cost 20$ to get it cut. As for the toggle switch, they put it somewhere it's not in the way where u can accidently flick-it off...

whitetail101

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found valet switch.

I finally found the valet switch to turn the alarm of, the switch is so small it is hard to find- thanks for all the help.:stop:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Considering he hasn't posted in 11 years.... I'm gonna venture to guess that it will remain a mystery.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Where did you find it?
If it was the Pass-Lock system like the one in my Expedition the switch will be installed somewhere that the driver can reach it and the key at the same time.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I like how the OP didn't add any pictures or mentions where it was. I also like how this is an old thread and someone is hoping the OP will reply 11 years later lol. It could happen.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I like how the OP didn't add any pictures or mentions where it was. I also like how this is an old thread and someone is hoping the OP will reply 11 years later lol. It could happen.
I am pretty sure that people come in from a Google search, register, and post a question in someone else's thread, without ever looking at (possibly without even knowing about) the date stamps on the other posts, and don't realize they are creating zombies.

Most other forums that I use lock threads after a certain amount of time being idle. I really hate the way some of them do it because it's too fast, like I have a build thread on one forum that is locked because I didn't do anything for a year, and the admins locked it after a month and won't open it back up. But maybe if something is dead for 5+ years we lock it up, I dunno.

Which reminds me....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals