• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tachometer Circuitry

EfficaciousMaximus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L L4
Transmission
Manual
Okay, first post... here we go! :headbang:

1991 ford ranger, 2.3L, Custom edition.
Stock Tachometer, part #F07F-10E853-DA N

This model either came with a tachometer or it was added before I owned it but it's wired up correctly so that's not the question. I've been searching for days online and in different parts yards, but I can't find the right OEM replacement, nor a picture of what I need to repair the unit.

I'm sure a ton of people have seen this, it's not an uncommon issue. The tachometer overheats, schrches some of the connections in the upper left corner of the circuit board, you can re-solder them and it'll work again!
(see this video for reference: https://youtu.be/fF5uag3hpic)

Well short story this didn't work for me, one of my resistors burnt out and is missing some of the identifying color bands on it. Anyone have a circuit diagram of the Tachometer gauge itself or can pull the unit from their dash and tell me which one to use? It's the big blue one on the edge looks like the colors start with brown black brown. As far as I can tell, as long as the middle characters of the part number are the same it should use the same circuit board and parts behind the scenes so to speak.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
First of all, Welcome to TRS. Be sure to use the "How To Tech" section at the top of every page, right under the "TRS" banner.

EfficaciousMaximus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L L4
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, but I've been through all of the articles in the tech section. They only discuss how to wire up instrument clusters and aftermarket techometers. I didn't see anything about soldering breadboards or what resistor/transistor/diodes are used in which gauges.
If you know something I don't then please, point me in the right direction.

EfficaciousMaximus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L L4
Transmission
Manual
Update: I finally found a similar part in a JY about 100 miles away, it'll take some solder work as a few of the components are different. I couldn't find a tutorial on this specifically so I'm going to try to write a workup for those interested.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
I would be interested. We have a 95 Ranger shop truck and replaced the original ecu with an 06 Ranger ecu. The tach now reads about 1200 when its really at 650 idle

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals