• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Explorer Trans Drain/Fill

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Okay, I am pretty certain I been losing some trans fluid. I've been thru this in the past so know the drill.

My issue is I am unable to get the fill plug open so it looks like I have to pull the full drain/fill plug. Simple enough but I what I am finding for a replacement doesn't seem to match what is in there.

This is for a 2002 Explorer with 4.6L V8

What I am finding is this one.

https://www.newparts.com/product/090-204-dorman-autograde-ford-explorer-lincoln-aviator-mercury-oil-drain-plug-piggyback-m14-150-dorm/Default.aspx?gfid=p54705-c975371&source=googleshopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplpp54705-c975371&sc_intid=p54705-c975371&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI24eF_KLA3QIV0brACh2fSAs0EAQYAiABEgKLYvD_BwE

I got one, and while the outer bolt size is the same, the diameter of the fill plug in the center is different than the existing one. It is obvious my fill adapter will not fit this. While I could probably find a fitting to fit it, what I don't know is if the drain threads will match or if it will yield the same fluid depth.

It also appears the fill plug on this one is pretty loose and I can't see how it makes a seal. It seems the threads go down and then just stop.

Does anyone know what the story is on this? Can it be used? Is there a different one I need to get?

Thanks

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Ford part number is 6L2Z-7A010-AA it’s like $12.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals