• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help with wiring on 5.0 swap

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
Hey everybody, I have a 1998 ford ranger xlts 3.0 that I swapped a 1997 ford explorer 5.0 into and used an m5odr2 out of a 1999-2003 f150 and am wondering about the transmission harness which I don't have. Do I need it even if I have a manual transmission? More specifically do I need to jump the dtr wires to get it to start? I have been mulling around my explorer and ranger haynes manual wiring diagrams and can't really see whether I need the harness at all do I just leave the engine side of the connector unhooked?

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Hey everybody, I have a 1998 ford ranger xlts 3.0 that I swapped a 1997 ford explorer 5.0 into and used an m5odr2 out of a 1999-2003 f150 and am wondering about the transmission harness which I don't have. Do I need it even if I have a manual transmission? More specifically do I need to jump the dtr wires to get it to start? I have been mulling around my explorer and ranger haynes manual wiring diagrams and can't really see whether I need the harness at all do I just leave the engine side of the connector unhooked?
I have a 99 Ranger that was a 3.0L auto. I used a 01 Explorer ECM with a T5 5 speed. I did not use the auto trans harness as the only connections needed for the manual trans that come from that plug is the passenger side O2 sensor and the DTR wire. I chased the DTR wire back to the 42 pin connector and added a hidden switch in the cab to open and close the circuit. That was added just for security to disable the starter when the vehicle is left unattended. You can connect/loop the DTR circuit at whatever location works best for your application. It just needs to be closed for the starter to work.

Last edited:

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The trans harness will have the VSS, reverse lights, O2 sensors and starter interlock.

You'll likely need to account for all 4 functions.

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
Can i do this at the clutch switch in the cab and just run the wires from there to a switch? I like your switch idea I might have to try that as well. I lack good wiring diagrams

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
The trans harness will have the VSS, reverse lights, O2 sensors and starter interlock.

You'll likely need to account for all 4 functions.
Would it be easier to just go to the junkyard and pull a transmission harness and hook it up and then do the wiring? The vss won't matter I don't think because my transmission does not have a vss in it so the speedometer problem will be addressed down the line after I've got most everything put together.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Would it be easier to just go to the junkyard and pull a transmission harness and hook it up and then do the wiring? The vss won't matter I don't think because my transmission does not have a vss in it so the speedometer problem will be addressed down the line after I've got most everything put together.
Your 98 ranger has vss sensor on the axle that feeds the speedo, and that sensor is part of the body harness. So no issues there.

Weather you connect the neutral safety switch wires to itself or pass it through the clutch switch, it will work fine either way.

The reverse wires and the 02 you need as mentioned.

You don't need the trans harness to do what your needing, but it could be a cleaner way to wire it. Just de-pin all the other wires on the trans harness connector and you'll only have the few wires left you need. This way you can disconnect it from the engine harness and not have to cut into or modify the engine side harness at all.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Can i do this at the clutch switch in the cab and just run the wires from there to a switch? I like your switch idea I might have to try that as well. I lack good wiring diagrams
You can but all the clutch wires are already there in a pigtail tucked up in the dash above the clutch pedal. You just need to pull the pigtail down, snap the cap off, and plug your clutch safety switch into the connector. Then you will have the complete system as designed by Ford Motor Company. The DTR wire can be spiced for a switch any where along the line. It just needs to loop back to the ECM to feed current so the starter will fire.

Sorry, I forgot about the reverse lights. You will need to tap into those as well. I forgot about them as I tapped off my back up camera to feed the reverse lights.

Last edited:

Deadeye512xr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Drive like ya mean it
You can but all the clutch wires are already there in a pigtail tucked up in the dash above the clutch pedal. You just need to pull the pigtail down, snap the cap off, and plug your clutch safety switch into the connector. Then you will have the complete system as designed by Ford Motor Company. The DTR wire can be spiced for a switch any where along the line. It just needs to loop back to the ECM to feed current so the starter will fire.

Sorry, I forgot about the reverse lights. You will need to tap into those as well. I forgot about them as I tapped off my back up camera to feed the reverse lights.
My truck was a manual from the factory so everything is all wired up for a manual I just wasn't sure if the switch was wired into the pcm

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals