Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. If you're in need of help, post it below in the appropriate topic forum.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
91stranger

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER EXT CAB 3.0
I use this vehicle for: daily driving
91stranger is on a distinguished road
Default Here is my lunch break paint job

So I was working on my truck for the past month or so. Had to replace the fuel pump. Of course the fuel pump goes bad when I have a full tank of gas. So instead of dealing with a full tank of gas and dropping the tank I decided to remove the bed instead. Wanted to remove the bed anyway so I could paint the frame too. So I start on the bed bolts, had to use a break bar to bust them loose then my impact gun. Only broke one bolt shockingly. The bolts were soooo rusty and thin that most of them were not reusable. After seeing that they are almost 60-70 dollars for new ones I decided to use 1/2" grade 8 bolts with stop nuts instead. So I got the pump replaced then started cleaning the frame since it was really rusty. Our body shop guys have a sweet frame scaler that I used which ate the rust off with ease. I accidentally got too close to a brake line and busted it. (it was due). So I replaced most of the rusted out brake lines. Finally got to where I was ready for paint. I had found a bargain on craigslist a few months ago for some rustoleum tractor paint. I have green, blue, two reds and two yellows. I was testing out some colors and found that the green was way too bright. Mixed in some blue and it was too bright as well. Finally bought a quart of black paint and mixed with the green and blue and I got a color that was almost dead on with the paint. So now I have painted the back half of the frame since the bed was off. Got the bed back on and used the better 1/2" bolts on every spot except the front bolts by the gas tank. I couldn't get the 1/2" bolt to work there since I don't have a j-clip there so I had to use the factory torx bolt with j clip. By the way, I was sure to use anti-seize on all the bolts so they come off easy down the road. So now I have my good ol' truck up and running again. Here are some pics of the before and after.
Attached Images

Last edited by 91stranger; 11-02-2018 at 02:41 PM.
91stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 09-15-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
hank857

Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger 4.0 sc
I use this vehicle for: everything
hank857 is on a distinguished road

I have an f350 and needed to carry some extra fuel. I mounted a 20 gal barrel in a wooden carrier and then mounted it to a 3/4 inch plywood piece. The factory bolts were then too short, so I went to an ace hardware for some all thread of same size and made 2 longer bolts. Just welded the nuts on the exposed tops and then you have longer bolts and no fiddling with new nut plates etc.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
98 red ranger

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: DD
98 red ranger is on a distinguished road

was wondering if you ever got it painted. LOOKS GREAT. Amazing how a little time mixing tractor colors can come up w/ a close match. Great job.
98 red ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
alwaysFlOoReD
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: '91, '94, '80
Vehicle Make: Ford, GMC
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Ranger, Grumman Kurbmaster
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 race, 4x4, Work
alwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud ofalwaysFlOoReD has much to be proud of

Old 09-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #5
91stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 red ranger View Post
was wondering if you ever got it painted. LOOKS GREAT. Amazing how a little time mixing tractor colors can come up w/ a close match. Great job.
Yeah I think I got lucky because I just poured 5 oz of green, 5 oz of blue and then 3 oz of black and it turned out really close. I bet all in all I used a quart of paint so far. An that's with 2 coats on the frame. I still have to do the front half of the frame but that will be another day when I get time to use the lift. The rear is what takes the most rust abuse anyway. I'm really happy with it. I think I am going to paint the leaf springs black if I have some left over. I still have a few gallons of red and yellow so things at home have been getting painted. Painted my lawn mower wagon Massey Ferguson red lol.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:58 PM   #6
RangerRough

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Off-roading
RangerRough is on a distinguished road

Excellent, looks beautiful
RangerRough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #7
Andy D

Vehicle Year: 94
Vehicle Make: The Rat
Vehicle Model: 4x4 4.0 5spd Vise grip shift 1354 E, manual hubs
I use this vehicle for: mini pick up stuff
My credo: to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Andy D has a spectacular aura aboutAndy D has a spectacular aura about

You can chase the J nuts with a 1/2 thread tap and a little oil.
The bed came to me held on by only 4 bolts. All 4 weren't re-usable I re- threaded the J nuts and used all thread and 1/2 stuff I had on hand with lotsa washers. The back frame section was missing the spare tire sheet metal The bed was angled in relation to the cab. Thats where the all thread was used along with about 1 1/4 of shim.
Andy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #8
91stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy D View Post
You can chase the J nuts with a 1/2 thread tap and a little oil.
The bed came to me held on by only 4 bolts. All 4 weren't re-usable I re- threaded the J nuts and used all thread and 1/2 stuff I had on hand with lotsa washers. The back frame section was missing the spare tire sheet metal The bed was angled in relation to the cab. Thats where the all thread was used along with about 1 1/4 of shim.
Tried that and I broke the handle on my tap lol. For now it will do. I plan on hitting up the local pick and pull and finding a better bed bolt for the front corner. For now I have that bolt coated with anti seize so it will come right out with my impact.