Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 09-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Johnnyboiranger22

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Weekend home depot trips
Johnnyboiranger22 is on a distinguished road
Default Need help! clyinder head

So diagnosing my oil pressure concern i decided to just yank the whole motor and i found this wrong with the cylinder head which i bought re manufactured. If my mind serves me correctly these are cam bearings, would that cause my oil pressure issue and metal scraping noises when first started?
Attached Images

Johnnyboiranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 09-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
tomw

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: for everything
My credo: vertical and above ground
tomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura about

Release the cam followers, and pull the camshaft out of the head. Then you can see the cam bearing surface, the cam itself to know the actual condition. If the bearing inserts are scored and damaged, you can leak a lot of oil through the created excessive clearance, reducing pressure within the whole system. A lot of the oil will flow through the easiest exit, and the other bits get less than normal.
What your pictures is possible cam bearing damage. Cannot tell w/o removing the cam.

Lack of lubricant in the pan decreases pump output, and the passage to the cam bearings is sort of roundabout. The oil flows up from the block, across a narrow passage on the bottom of the cylinder head, around a head bolt(peripheral flow) into a passage in the head that leads to a gallery that feeds the cam bearings and the lifter supports.
If you look at the bottom of the head, near the edge, drivers side rearward area you'll see the small volume that connects to a cylinder head bolt hole. That's how oil gets to the cam bearings & lifters.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Johnnyboiranger22

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Weekend home depot trips
Johnnyboiranger22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post
Release the cam followers, and pull the camshaft out of the head. Then you can see the cam bearing surface, the cam itself to know the actual condition. If the bearing inserts are scored and damaged, you can leak a lot of oil through the created excessive clearance, reducing pressure within the whole system. A lot of the oil will flow through the easiest exit, and the other bits get less than normal.
What your pictures is possible cam bearing damage. Cannot tell w/o removing the cam.

Lack of lubricant in the pan decreases pump output, and the passage to the cam bearings is sort of roundabout. The oil flows up from the block, across a narrow passage on the bottom of the cylinder head, around a head bolt(peripheral flow) into a passage in the head that leads to a gallery that feeds the cam bearings and the lifter supports.
If you look at the bottom of the head, near the edge, drivers side rearward area you'll see the small volume that connects to a cylinder head bolt hole. That's how oil gets to the cam bearings & lifters.
tom
Hey Tom! thanks for the explanation ended up being a defective cylinder head have to send it back unfortunately, seller wasn't happy but neither was I, bath and forth that i damage it however i never drove the truck lol. That was the metal noise i was hearing was the oil pump or rod bearings to begine with however truck is tore apart might as well do rod bearings to lol.
Johnnyboiranger22 is offline   Reply With Quote