Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 2.9 Liter Forum

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
rusty ol ranger

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Tetanus Awareness
My credo: A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
rusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura aboutrusty ol ranger has a spectacular aura about
Default 86/87 ECM vs 88-92 ECM

After checking wires upon wires ive decided to change the ECM in my 87 Ranger to try and get rid of the issues im having, if nothing else to rule that out as a cause for sure.

I pulled the ECM out of rusty #1, and the fuel pump wouldnt prime, then it dawned on me all those years ago around the end of clintons first term when i had a buddy help me wire the fuel pump up to run all the time it must have been the ECM that was the issue and NOT the wireing. Got a code 87 and no fuel pump. So that option is out.

So, heres my question...

I know by going to a 88-92 ECM you eliminate the knock sensor/EGR system used on the 86-87 trucks. According to what i read they ran a knock sensor and EGR to run more aggressive timing, and then in 88 did away with that.

So, would i notice a power/MPG difference (as in, less of both) going to a 88-92ecm?

Also will i get a core credit turning in a 87 ecm for an 88? I know the part numbers are different
Member since March 2002

Last edited by rusty ol ranger; 09-16-2018 at 07:38 AM.
rusty ol ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

5% Discount Code: 01783FE29A6986 Expires: December 30, 2018
Old 11-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #2
shadetreebronco

Vehicle Year: 75 87 96
Vehicle Model: Bronco , Bronco II , Ranger
shadetreebronco is on a distinguished road

I did the same ECM swap on my 87 BII . I didnt notice much change as far as MPG or performance.
I was thinking about installing headers and never did.
I did return the 87 ECM for the core charge . They never looked at part numbers.
shadetreebronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
adsm08
Supporting Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

I never noticed any difference in performance/MPG. And probably 99% of the guys who look at what you turn in for a core won't know enough to know it's not the same one.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I identify as an attack helicopter.

I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
Paulos

Vehicle Model: Ranger STX Supercab
Paulos is on a distinguished road

The only issue I had swapping an '89 ECM into my '87 was a code 95 (fuel pump secondary circuit fault). Turns out the '89 has a wire coming off the load side of the fuel pump relay to pin 8 of the ECM, telling it that the relay is sending voltage to the inertia switch and the fuel pump.
Paulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
shadetreebronco

Vehicle Year: 75 87 96
Vehicle Model: Bronco , Bronco II , Ranger
shadetreebronco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
The only issue I had swapping an '89 ECM into my '87 was a code 95 (fuel pump secondary circuit fault). Turns out the '89 has a wire coming off the load side of the fuel pump relay to pin 8 of the ECM, telling it that the relay is sending voltage to the inertia switch and the fuel pump.
I have to ask but do you get a check engine light when the computer throws a code.?
shadetreebronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Paulos

Vehicle Model: Ranger STX Supercab
Paulos is on a distinguished road

I don't think the check engine light is set up to operate on my '87. If I recall correctly, there is nowhere to put a lamp in the instrument cluster where the check engine light should be.

After swapping ECMs I pulled the codes to make sure everything was good and I had a code 95. When comparing the '89 and '87 schematics there is clearly a wire going to pin 8 from the fuel pump relay on the '89, but not on the '87.
Paulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:30 AM   #7
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
I don't think the check engine light is set up to operate on my '87. If I recall correctly, there is nowhere to put a lamp in the instrument cluster where the check engine light should be.

After swapping ECMs I pulled the codes to make sure everything was good and I had a code 95. When comparing the '89 and '87 schematics there is clearly a wire going to pin 8 from the fuel pump relay on the '89, but not on the '87.

its a reporting system, it was part of the change up to single in tank fuel pumps.

as you know your 87 has a high and low pump.
88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote