• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pros and cons of front lunch box locker

el burro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I've been contemplating getting a front locker for my b2. I have a d35 and I would ideally like to get a selectable locker but im on a limited budget, so I was looking at Spartan or lock right auto lockers. My big question is what kind of characteristics do they have when in four wheel drive. Im worried that it will either cut down my turning radius or be a pain to steer with the tires fighting eachother. Living here in Oregon I go to browns camp alot and I need all the maneuverability I can get.. So would u guys recommend a front auto locker?

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
I have a lockrite in my d35. I bought it 3rd hand and its been great. Easy to install. I would recommend a lunchbox locker to anyone.
While driving it does have its quirks. But only in 4wd. In 2wd you would never know its there. Its not too noticable on soft ground but on hard pack it does pull you around a little. On fsr's mine will sometimes pull to one side, But if i let it unlock and re-lock (off and on gas) it drives straight again.
In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons. While its not as nice as a selectable, the price is way better.
Also the whole "dying on a snowy road" thing, ive driven around all winter and never felt unsafe.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
i have two :)

el burro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how do they react at full lock to lock turns? Do the tires feel like they are binding? one thing I love about the b2's is the tight turning.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how do they react at full lock to lock turns? Do the tires feel like they are binding? one thing I love about the b2's is the tight turning.
in general its a bad idea to go to full lock when in 4wd, the axles aren't designed for that extreme of a degree of operation, a locker at full lock would just be asking to break parts

el burro

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I totally agree that u shouldn't fully turn when in 4wd but sometimes especially in Oregon and Washington where the trails are so tight u need to go full lock just to avoid hitting something..

kirk3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
Your tires will be fighting each other but you can do a full lock turn, just dont give it much gas. But i dont recommend it. As already said, your asking for something to break.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I've got an Aussie in the front of mine. It's all pros as far as I'm concerned. I have not noticed any ill effect in steering or turning radius really at all even at full lock. This both being on the trail in the loose dirt/rocks/gravel and on FSR's. Go for it and don't look back, you will love the traction and capability it will add to your truck.

And I recommend the Aussie locker.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've got an Aussie in the front of mine. It's all pros as far as I'm concerned. I have not noticed any ill effect in steering or turning radius really at all even at full lock. This both being on the trail in the loose dirt/rocks/gravel and on FSR's. Go for it and don't look back, you will love the traction and capability it will add to your truck.

And I recommend the Aussie locker.
Do you ever notice it when you are in 2wd, but with the front hubs locked in? My front Lock-Rite makes a helluva noise and banging when I try to turn like this...

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
^ mine used to do the same. I only ever ran it in 2wd with the hubs locked in by accident, or in the winter for short trips.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
^ mine used to do the same. I only ever ran it in 2wd with the hubs locked in by accident, or in the winter for short trips.
Sorta the only thing I don't like about my Lock-Rite. I'm wondering if Sasquatch has this annoyance with his Aussie...if not I want to order a Aussie to go in place of my Lock-Rite when I tear down the front D35 for new gears and do it all at once...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
FWIW my Aussie makes a little noise in 2wd with the hubs locked in when you turn but it's not banging and popping and such.

In 4wd it's smooth as silk, never hear it, almost never notice it, snow driving is a breeze as well.

The only time it sucks is if you have to drive in fwd on the street, it's a little hairy.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I've never had it in 2wd with the hubs locked, so I can't comment on that. I'll have to try that out. It only makes sense tho, as it will be ratcheting because there is no power being applied to it. I know the Aussie I have in the front compared to the Lock right I used to run in the rear is silent.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
FWIW my Aussie makes a little noise in 2wd with the hubs locked in when you turn but it's not banging and popping and such.

In 4wd it's smooth as silk, never hear it, almost never notice it, snow driving is a breeze as well.

The only time it sucks is if you have to drive in fwd on the street, it's a little hairy.
Alright, I'm sold. Switching to an Aussie if I can scrape up the funds...Never been fond of my Lock-Rite.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals