• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help 4.0 misses severly

speedobsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2000 ranger w a 4.0 and recently developed a rough idle. first code was a cylinder#4 misfire. after plugs and wires it was gone until engine warmed up.since then it has developed a rougher idle and upon loading it will loosen fillings.it since has coded misfire on 4 and 6 cylinder #s along with a left bank up stream o2 sensor and a code 1151 manufacture fuel air mixture?in the last two days i have replaced #4 and 6 injectors for the misfire,plugs and wires(quadruple) checked the wire locations. i have replaced the upstream bank 2 o2 sensor again along w the the thermostat and the temp sensor as i then coded a highoutput temp code this is in addition to the intake gasket replaced as well.it drinks gas like no tomorrow and since my final clearing of codes i have not gotten another code but it still runs like garbage. cylinder pressure meet book specs and fuel pressure is 62 before starting and 68 while running. im at whits end here and have a new coil pack on the seat that i dont want to install because i reallydont think thats it being the misfires are on seperate banks, please if anyone has a suggestion i would greatly appreciate it. thanks guys!

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
could be: IAC, MAF, Down stream o2, coil pack, or you damaged the plugs putting them in.

theres a guy on here username adsm. look him up, hes a tech.

speedobsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, i appreciate it

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Coil pack is where I would have went before swapping all the parts after the spark plugs.

speedobsession

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i was hesitant because ive only ever seen coil packs just stop firing,not misfire ondifferent banks

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Well, we have what is called a "waste spark" ignition. There's three coils, and the cylinders are paired up on 'em. Look at the coil pack and see how it's shaped and put together and you'll understand it.

jcd302

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go with plugs first if that was the only thing changed (and the wires were right). I've had bad plugs before (when I did the neighbors car).

Duane867

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A bad coil doesn't explain a lean code on bank 2 or o2 codes though. I mean it would have to be so bad it wouldn't even run half the time.
Spray either or starting fluid around the intake gasket you replaced and see if it idles up or down.
A bad ICM can cause alternating miss fires on separate banks as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals