• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need help! clyinder head

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
So diagnosing my oil pressure concern i decided to just yank the whole motor and i found this wrong with the cylinder head which i bought re manufactured. If my mind serves me correctly these are cam bearings, would that cause my oil pressure issue and metal scraping noises when first started?

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
Release the cam followers, and pull the camshaft out of the head. Then you can see the cam bearing surface, the cam itself to know the actual condition. If the bearing inserts are scored and damaged, you can leak a lot of oil through the created excessive clearance, reducing pressure within the whole system. A lot of the oil will flow through the easiest exit, and the other bits get less than normal.
What your pictures is possible cam bearing damage. Cannot tell w/o removing the cam.

Lack of lubricant in the pan decreases pump output, and the passage to the cam bearings is sort of roundabout. The oil flows up from the block, across a narrow passage on the bottom of the cylinder head, around a head bolt(peripheral flow) into a passage in the head that leads to a gallery that feeds the cam bearings and the lifter supports.
If you look at the bottom of the head, near the edge, drivers side rearward area you'll see the small volume that connects to a cylinder head bolt hole. That's how oil gets to the cam bearings & lifters.
tom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Release the cam followers, and pull the camshaft out of the head. Then you can see the cam bearing surface, the cam itself to know the actual condition. If the bearing inserts are scored and damaged, you can leak a lot of oil through the created excessive clearance, reducing pressure within the whole system. A lot of the oil will flow through the easiest exit, and the other bits get less than normal.
What your pictures is possible cam bearing damage. Cannot tell w/o removing the cam.

Lack of lubricant in the pan decreases pump output, and the passage to the cam bearings is sort of roundabout. The oil flows up from the block, across a narrow passage on the bottom of the cylinder head, around a head bolt(peripheral flow) into a passage in the head that leads to a gallery that feeds the cam bearings and the lifter supports.
If you look at the bottom of the head, near the edge, drivers side rearward area you'll see the small volume that connects to a cylinder head bolt hole. That's how oil gets to the cam bearings & lifters.
tom
Hey Tom! thanks for the explanation ended up being a defective cylinder head have to send it back unfortunately, seller wasn't happy but neither was I, bath and forth that i damage it however i never drove the truck lol. That was the metal noise i was hearing was the oil pump or rod bearings to begine with however truck is tore apart might as well do rod bearings to lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals