• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bouncing voltage gauge

manley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9 swapping to 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Wut?
I have a 93 Ranger 3.0L 5-speed 4x4. The voltage gauge occasionally bounces quickly within a small range. It does not peg either direction. Just wiggles. I think it only does it when I let off the gas, but not everytime I let off the gas.

Today it is raining, so I was using the windshield wipers. The delay in the swipe of the blades is inconsistent. Sometimes it will swipe 4 times with no delay in between, then a long delay, then several times fast, then a long delay or two, etc. Very inconsistent.

Could my voltage regulator be taking a crap on me? Like everything else!

At least it isn't freezing cold yet and I can fix it without getting frozen to the garage floor as I replace the clutch this week. It seized up on me at 4:30am today in McDonald's drive-thru. Just replaced the fuel pump Friday. And I think the TPS is going out. Should be a new truck in a years time at this rate.

Thanks!

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check your battery connections first. If they are dirty clean them and then go to the ground on the block and clean both the block and ground good. If your problem is still there have your battery load tested. Check your charging system also. If your voltage regulator is bad the gage won't read anythinig at all.

dangerjim92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i had the same problem over this past summer. i checked the batery terminals and such and it was charging 13volts but it wasnt a week later it quit charging.

calypso93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Automatic
If you alternator is similiar to mine, (4L-'93), there's a single wire "fast on" connector that gets loose and dirty from time to time. Wiggling it gives the same gauge bounce you described. Cleaning it and putting on a light coat of silicon ignition grease holds it for a year or so.

manley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
2.9 swapping to 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Wut?
Thanks for the tips, guys. If I ever get the clutch in, I'll check into the gauge problem.

iangoround

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mine does something similar. The gauge bounces and all the lights flicker, but only at idle. If the truck is even slightly above idle everything is fine.

same problem perhaps?

michowski

Reaction score
I had this happen not to long ago. Check to see if all your grounds are secure and tight. Check the terminals on the battery and the cable. Make sure everything is clean and have a clean surface. Double check all the bolts and nuts and make sure there all tight.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals