• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 blowing smoke

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have my '93 4.0L, and it is blowing smoke out the exhaust (coolant), but it also has an oil smell, but is not really blue colored, which is confusing. It consumed probably a half gallon of coolant on an hour drive (to work and back).
Also, the smoke is intermittent. It will never blow smoke for a couple minutes until the engine is warm, then it will blow a bunch. Sometimes it will continue to blow smoke, other times it will blow it for a minute, then stop then start for a minute then sometimes it not even blow smoke at all.
There does not seem to be any oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil, so those 2 are not mixing.
I did a compression test, and the front left and right rear cyl are 156psi, and the other 4 are at 152psi. In my opinion, those are pretty good numbers.
I noticed that if I look in the coolant overflow bottle, there are slow small bubble that rise up (maybe 1 per socond). So I sounds

It is running kind of rough too, kinda like a miss, but it is intermittent, and the idle jumps around too. I haven't figured that part out, so I've just dealt with it.

I don't think the problem is head gaskets, because if it was, 1 or 2 of the cylinders would have lower compression, but they are all pretty much the same.
My first guess was the head gaskets, but the compression test changed my mind.
I don't like the idea of a cracked block, or cracked head, but oh well. I have a spare 4.0L from a 94 Explorer, but it has 240K miles, with a pretty noisy lifter tick, so I don't really want to do that.

I've read about lower intake gaskets, does that sounds like it could be the problem? Or am I just missing something, and could it actually be a head gasket?
Maybe a cracked block or head? I just want some opinions.

Last edited:

rags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It would be my guess that it would be the lower intake gasket leaking. It would let coolent to get into the cylinders without dropping compression. That along with a vacuum leak from the same gasket would cause your rough erratic idle.

Just my 2 cents

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Would that cause the few air bubbles to get into the coolant/over-flow tank, as well?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals