• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L Flex Fuel-Running E85--What are your results?

kart45

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been driving my `00 3.0 4x4 "V" single cab on the e85 around here (Boise, ID, and the fuel comes from the local Sinclair/Stinker Station) for about a year now and getting mixed anywhere from 15-18 mpg, usually get 16-20 on regular 87 unleaded. I can tell this last batch might be a little on the sweet side cause I'm having a harder time starting and getting up to temp. I can noticeably feel the power increase (seat of the pants at least), especially against the winter 87 octane gasoline.

Is it worth tuning the 3.0? This is just my daily driver/shop truck so I'm not really looking to scorch the strip or anything like that. I just know there's a lot of untapped potential in the e85 fuel and the architecture of the flex fuel vehicle itself so why not take advantage of it :icon_thumby:

Also - I've got about 10-20 gallons of old methanol from the sprint car thats been in a barrel now for a couple years. Its no good for any racing applications (obviously) but does anyone know if its possible to mix me up a home brew with some regular gas and maybe a blending agent just so I can use up the stuff? Kind of a flex fuel/garbage disposal/mr. fusion theory :icon_confused:

Last edited:

rdmayhew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here's my issue with the E85. I tried it last fall when there was a big difference in price realizizing that my mileage could be inpacted. After the 2nd tank my engine light came on and codes were lean fuel. We founs a bad hose, had it fixed. E85 jumped in price so I went back to E85. Just 2 weeks ago there was about $.65 differnce, so I switched back to E85. Performance I haven't noticed any difference, but again after the second tank, my engine light came back on, lean fuel codes. Filled up with regular, reset codes & back to normal. Makes me think that my sesnors not picking up the E85 and making the proper adjustments. Thoughts?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
AFAIK, only a year or two - mine included - actually had alcohol sensors:

Otherwise I'm not sure how other years determine the alcohol blend. As for power, the owner's manual itself shows a power INCREASE:

My owner's manual:

I didn't need to see it in my manual to notice it was there either. My last fill up almost exclusively in town driving I got maybe 11mpg but with all the humidity, the A/C has always been on as well. Last price I looked was $2.70~ E85 and $3.60~ gas roughly.

Cody Ray

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I run E85 when making the trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff, AZ. The slight increase in hp/torque along with the higher octane makes the trip easier. Don't have to go WOT as often to climb the hill or pass old people.

Fordblue213

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My 2000 3.0 Flex Fuel has lived on a diet of premium gas to fight pinging its whole life and it just turned 183,000 miles. I just swapped heads and head gaskets, so my carbon buildup should be minimal.

A Racetrack station by my parents has E85 and its a 45 minute drive on the highway from my house. My worry is if the E85 cleans the varnish out of the fuel system and crams it into the new injectors.

Would filling it up 3/4 way with gas and 1/4 E85 be a safe start? The truck has had the fuel filter changed at least every 30,000 miles with the trans filter change. Sometimes sooner.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals