• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Weird charging anomaly?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been noting an odd occurrence on my 98 Ranger. When just putting around, the volt gauge appears normal. When getting into the throttle, at a certain rpm, the volt gauge suddenly drops and, if at night, the lights dim. Last time I was on the highway with it, at around 85 mph, the same occurs. Alternator or voltage regulator? Belt and battery are new as of last year.

Still the factory alternator at almost 160,000 miles. I also use a digital volt gauge that plugs into one of the cigg. lighter outlets. It ranges from 13.6 to 14.2 normally. When the above occurs, it drops down to 12.3 or 12.4 immediately. As soon as the rpm's drop down, voltage returns to the high numbers.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
When you hit 85 your Ranger probably went catatonic from fear and started to shut down. :woot:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My Explorer (same alternator) used to do the exact same thing, at almost the same mileage. It was the alternator.

85 MPH means higher RPM. When voltage goes down as RPM goes up it is almost always the alternator not being strong enough to keep up with the increased load.

I once, on an 04ish F-150, saw it be a rubbed wire to the PCM that couldn't carry the command signal well, which is a situation that doesn't apply to a 99 anything.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I figured it is the alternator. Just wanted that thought confirmed. It is 20 years old, after all. Amazing it lasted that long. The one in my Lightning needed to be replaced at ten years.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alternator pulley is usually a 3 to 1 ratio with crank pulley
You can check what yours is by dividing Crank pulley diameter by alternator pulley diameter
i.e. 9" crank pulley / 3" alternator pulley = 3, so 3:1 ratio

This means when engine is at 1,000rpms, alternator is at 3,000rpms
When engine is at 4,000rpms, alternator is at 12,000rpms

At higher RPMs an alternator can stop working because of worn parts like bearings or brushes, not all that unusual at the extreme ends of either high or low RPMs(dimming lights at idle)

So I would agree, alternator is the issue.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you hit 85 your Ranger probably went catatonic from fear and started to shut down. :woot:
Really? I do 85 and 90 all the time on the freeway, just staying with the flow. But truthfully, my speedo is about 10% optimistic. So at 80, it's really doing 72, etc. In any event, my truck has larger 15 inch rims, wider in the rear, 255/60 tires in the back, 205 on narrower rims in the front. And to boot, Hellwig anti swaybars at both ends. Also put new end links, and all bushings on them in 2015, as they were pretty worn out. It's nice and stable at those speeds. Also has a catback exhaust, MAC cai, and a JET chip. Runs sweet!

But yeah, the 373 gears have it revving pretty high at those speeds as well. Don't have a tach, so don't know that number.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Changed the alternator today, problem gone. New alternator has a slightly smaller pulley, but the tensioner was able to handle the difference. I have a digital volt gauge that plugs into one of the cigar lighter outlets, it always reads between 13.8 and 14.2. No change.

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Really? I do 85 and 90 all the time on the freeway, just staying with the flow. But truthfully, my speedo is about 10% optimistic. So at 80, it's really doing 72, etc. In any event, my truck has larger 15 inch rims, wider in the rear, 255/60 tires in the back, 205 on narrower rims in the front. And to boot, Hellwig anti swaybars at both ends. Also put new end links, and all bushings on them in 2015, as they were pretty worn out. It's nice and stable at those speeds. Also has a catback exhaust, MAC cai, and a JET chip. Runs sweet!

But yeah, the 373 gears have it revving pretty high at those speeds as well. Don't have a tach, so don't know that number.
Just kidding, I have an 89 and I don't think I would want to push it to 85+.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Failed to mention that a friend of mine and myself rebuilt the front end in July. New upper and lower control arms with new ball joints with grease fittings. New inner and outer tie rod ends with grease fittings. Feels nice and tight now. At 85 mph it feels nice, no wobble or shimmy as it was doing before the rebuild.

All parts came from NAPA, and are really nice parts. Didn't change the caster and camber at all. Toe was a bit out at first, but it's all good now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals