• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

On the fence...

jeremyctry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been loyal to my 2000 Ranger for 18 years. But the years and the miles have caught up to her. She still runs but she just isn't dependable anymore. If I keep her she either needs a engine rebuild or a swap. My job keeps me on the road 26 days out of the month. I bit the bullet and bought a new F150. (it's weird owning a new vehicle after so many years) So now do I sell or hoard the old girl? Part of me would love to drop a 5.0 or possibly even a eco-boost in her. But with my time so limited and other responsibilities do I really have the time? Wouldn't it be better to sell her and let someone else enjoy her for the next 20 years?

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
I'd say, sell her.... 26 days out of a month is a lot of work... You need downtime...I drive around 24 days a month, that's the main reason why I don't take on projects, just maintaining the truck and the house is enough for me... I end up going to the mechanic for bigger/ longer jobs that I would have tackled when I was younger with evenings and weekends home....

Just my 0.02$

Envoyé de mon Moto X Play en utilisant Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would sell her

You can always rebuy a Ranger down the road if you want to pursue the V8 conversion

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you have some deep sentimental attachment to this truck (eg: it was your Dad's or Grandad's or your very first vehicle and you have magical memories that can't be transferred to another vehicle), follow the advice above and sell it. (especially if you have no time to throw into it)

If you just liked the truck, look out for one in nice shape that hasn't had the juice of life squeezed out of it, and start again.

Everyone in the forum who has followed this advice to the letter and never poured time and money into something that wasn't worth saving, please raise your hand! :)

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I say keep it. Something like that when you have owned it for so long you will regret it down the road. If its not hurting anything to keep it that is.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Do you have room to store it? Do you really need the money or is the truck more important to you then a little cash? Will you ever have time to fix it up?

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you a story:

My grandparents bought a brand new 1979 F350 supercab. My grandfather passed away in the late 80s and my father got the truck. When I got my license in 1995, I also got the F350. I sold the truck 2 years later because of a bad motor, rotted floorboards and bedsides, and no room to store it. I always missed that truck.
In 2017 I was browsing Craigslist, searching "Ranger"... I came across an ad for a 1979 F350 Supercab Ranger. Thinking "I used to own one of them", I opened it and to my surprise it was my old truck... 20 years, 4 owners, and 2 states later. I jumped at the chance to buy it back for the same $500 I sold it for 20 years ago.
Selling it was my only choice at the time, finding and buying it back was a million to one odds.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been in the same boat with my '85. When I lived in Omaha I didn't have time to do much with it, I did the minimal stuff to keep it on the road and kept it at my parents house to play with on weekends. I was afraid if it sat it would be a "one of these days I am going to fix it up" projects that never happens. Things change, and I got more time to work on it and I did.

Heck this summer money and time got tight, she has been down for 6 months.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I agree with the sell it crowd. unless you have a lot of sentimental value in this truck or a place to store it out of the elements, let it go. sitting outside it will deteriorate much further and at a faster rate, and with only 5 days a month you will not have time to work on it and keep quality time with the family.

There will be other opportunities :)

AJ

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
You could give to your nephew or son or somebody in the family that does have time to do a little to it and keep it running. Somebody who will appreciate it like you have for the last 18 years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals