• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4r44e ?

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
hopefully someone can help. My reverse went out on my 98/3.0 ranger extended cab. it has 187K miles.
I looked and found on this site that my ranger should have the 4R44E according to the year. I have looked every where on the truck with no tags for anything any where except on the tail housing of the tranny. the only legible letters are GT.
1. can I give the vin # to make absolute sure I have the 4R44E tranny?
2. I found a used tranny and the guy says it is out of a 2000 ranger with a 2.5. will this work?
3. can I use a 5R55E also?
thank you

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Yes, you have a 4r44e, there were only 2 autos available in 98, the 4r44e which was in everything except the 4.0 engines. And the 4r55e which was specifically behind the 4.0.

The computer in your truck simply will not work with the 5r44e or 5r55e trans. A 2000 ranger 2.5 would have the 5r44e so no good.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^^^

You for sure, beyond a doubt, have a 4R44E transmission in a 1998 Ranger 3.0l

You can only use a 1995 to 2000 4R44E from a 3.0l engine, and 2WD if that's what you have, 4x4 trans won't work in 2WD vehicle

The Mazda B3000(3000 means it has 3.0l engine) also used the same transmission as Ranger in the same years, so
1995 thru 2000 Mazda B3000 2WD automatic will work for you

As said, no on the transmission from another size engine, it won't bolt to the 3.0l engine, simple as that.

Your current transmission has low pressure, leaks in seals and gaskets internally have caused pressure drop
All automatics run on ATF pressure, Reverse requires the highest pressure at 150psi+ to engage
Forward gears require 125+ to engage
This is why first sign of trouble in many automatics is slow to engage Reverse and then loss of Reverse

Often you can rebuild Valve Body and get the pressure back up, that can be done without dropping the transmission.
It could also be failing front pump, which requires a full rebuild, but much less likely issue

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok, awesome. thank you
yes, stupid me. I totally forgot to say that I have a 2WD. sorry.
I might try the valve body rebuild. what is the best kit? do I get a shift kit? are their any videos of doing the job?
thanks

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you've never opened a valve body you're probably better off buying a rebuilt one. They run about $150-200 on fleabay all the time (dont ask me about the quality, ive never bought one) but the parts to do a proper job yourself are almost the same amount...

This video is decent showing a shift kit install on one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef1ahCgskKY

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
is the 4R44E valve body the same as the 5R55E,
Yes, its the computer programming that is different. The computer creates a fake extra gear by engaging overdrive in first giving it 5 speeds instead of 4.

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok. tthanks. he video does not show or does not show a link

I am kind of at a catch 22 here. I can get a valve body and still not have reverse, or spend time to take out tranny, find another one, and reinstall.

I guess I can get the valve body and if it does not work I can just put it in the used one that I get before I install it.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I guess I can get the valve body and if it does not work I can just put it in the used one that I get before I install it.
This is always my thinking as well. Either way its a gamble, a used tranny could be crap as well but at least this way you know you have a good valve body no matter what.

LeftHander

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger SC
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have a choice, get the bonded separation plate for your valve body. (not sure if they still bother selling the separate gaskets and plate)

The bonded gasket plate is much better to deal with. You are less likely to end up with a blown gasket, or to have one out of position.

ALL surfaces clean!
Follow the torque pattern for all those mounting bolts, and do it in steps. Don't get lazy and crank them all to full torque in one pass. Bad results may occur.

Pull the outlet line to the radiator and pump the pan oil level down, to avoid having to balance a full trans pan after unbolting it.

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this actually may help with a decision. I never experienced going into reverse slow. I never had one problem going into reverse or forward. the only think I did experience is that it shifted from 1st to 2nd really hard and the tranny fluid was full. just one day I went to back out of the drive and nothing. no noise, no pop, no nothing. just no reverse like out of no where. (literally). it may have made a sound but if it did I did not here it because I have a pretty loud exhaust leak.

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
that sucks I cant just use a 4x4 tranny and change the tail housing. their a lots of those for sale around me.

another question. can I just drive with no reverse or will the tranny lock up, crack on me or something? what if the reverse band broke? and is loose inside.

theranger

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok just getting back to the truck.
  1. why can I not just use a 4x4 tranny and change the tail shaft housing?
  2. can I get a 4r55e or 5r55e and just put the 4r44e valve body in it?
it is just about impossible to find this stupid 4r44e tranny. it must be a very rare tranny.
3. what about just converting to manual or swapping to a 4.0 and different tranny?

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
In 1998 it will be a 5 speed. You have to change the output shaft along with the extension housing. Changing out the shaft will require you to disassemble transmission. In 1997 they all went to 5 speeds,either 5R44E or 5R55E. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals