• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer 5.0 in a '89 Bronco II

JOSEPH169

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can seem to find anyone that has done an explorer 5.0 swap into a Bronco II. Seen older 5.0 swaps. Has anybody done it or know a link of one been done?

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I can seem to find anyone that has done an explorer 5.0 swap into a Bronco II. Seen older 5.0 swaps. Has anybody done it or know a link of one been done?
Joseph,

No one has replied so I'll take a stab at it. I'm in in the middle of dropping a 2000 Explorer 5.0 into a 1988 2WD BII. I've spent months collecting parts and planning the swap but just yanked the 2.9 and trans out of the BII yesterday.

I've had to convert the 2000 motor to a 1996 motor using the wiring loom and ECU from the 1996 so it has VSS and is pre-PATS. I also traded the 2000 4R70 trans out of the AWD Explorer donor for a 1996 2WD 4R70 out of a F-150 (I think).

I ended up changing every sensor on the motor including the CPS sensor and synchronizer. I'm am using L & L motor mounts (pricey but quality) and I will have to modify the trans crossmember to support the tailshaft housing. The donor came with the GT-40P heads and cast manifolds so I'm reusing those. I'll also end up shortening the Explorer's rear drive shaft and I've already ordered an extended 28-spline slip yoke, u-joint and 4 bolt flange so it'll hook up to the new trans.

I plan to wire an OBD-2 port into the loom but haven't gotten quite that far... yet.

I don't have links but there is a thread in the forum with lots of great advice on where to start with this particular job from various members like RangerSVT and MAC.

A quick search for '1988 BII' and '2000 explorer' will yield resutls I'm sure.

Good luck,

Dave

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am certainly not an expert on this--I think the main problem is the PATS and the OBD2. That's why most folks with earlier RBVs choose to use the OBD I EFI system or a carb. It makes the conversion less complicated and there is no appreciable performance loss.

dSINtia

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am certainly not an expert on this--I think the main problem is the PATS and the OBD2. That's why most folks with earlier RBVs choose to use the OBD I EFI system or a carb. It makes the conversion less complicated and there is no appreciable performance loss.
You are completely correct on the PATS assessment. If I had known about PATS 6 months ago I would've looked for a donor per-1998 for sure but I had money sunk into a very low mile 5.0...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals