• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 ranger_4x4 302 swap_ (Questions/Help)

88rangerolivergreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello I have a few questions about a possible carbureted 302 swap in my ranger. Right now my ranger is a stock 88 2.9, manual Trans, four wheel drive, extended cab. I have been Reading around on many sites about these 5.0 swaps but I haven’t found one that answers some of my questions. I know it’s fairly simple for 2wd but I haven’t seen many in 4wd? Is it that much more of a challenge? Is it even worth it? I know I need to upgrade my tranny, transfer case plus the rear, and some mods, I’ve been reading that the t-5 tranny is popular and it will fit and match up? Also saw a 2in body lift is recommended. After this is all said and done is wiring to difficult im pretty sure theirs an MSD ignition system out there for it, haven’t read into the wiring much yet. I have posted some more thoughts / questions below. Anyways I Hope someone can clear some of this up for me. I would LOVE to do this swap I just don’t want to be up stream without a paddle basically. Thanks!

1-I was wondering if they even have a kit for a four wheel drive ranger, I have found many kits to do a swap but there all for a 2wd.

2-I have read on TRS that I have to do a few modifications like engine mounts, headers, oil filter, oil pan, Trim the heater box, new radiator, upgraded tranny and transfer case, rear end, fire wall extra…

3- I was also reading on jamesduff site that “Carbureted 302: For '83-85 trucks with the carbureted 2.8, this is the easiest swap. On later models, it is nearly impossible to pass emissions with this setup. Refer to the following information for the modifications necessary for installation.” So I understand this except for the 83-85 years only?? What did ford do or what changes did they make that are different from 85-86?

4-Would I need to upgrade my front diff? I wouldn’t be rallying in 4wd, so would I really need to upgrade it?

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey man welcome. First i have a 85 ranger 4x4 with a carb. Is it worth it. Oh hell yes. No more straining to climb hills. Or pulling trailor with a lawnmower. Hell a four wheeler in the bed use to bog my truck down. Not now. I can pull a load and be up to 55 in no time. Hell itl bark tires through 3rd gear if i want it to. Now as for a kit. No not to my knowledge do they offer one. I built my truck over the last year and am still currently building it. So im up to date on alot of the stuff offered. I run a roller block f150 motor. Theres more options available for this engine. Than the flat tappet. Look for a 94 or newer fuel injected f150 or explorer motor. Buy everything. Motor brackets. Reason a 94 or newer is cuz in 94 they used the short nose water pump. Ull want this. Now. Motor mount. I love the mounts james duff offers. Yes theyre pricey but man they are built for a 4x4 and are stout. I had to change drives side mount slightly for my truck. Its in my build fants truck. U can buy a 450 dollar radiator thatl fit in ur pre existing hole. Or u can do some cutting and make a 91-94 explorer radiator fit. Ul want to look for 4.0 4 door with auto and ac. Itl be the bigger style ranger radiator. Do a web search for explorer rad difference and ull understand why. As for tranny. I run a 97 f150 r2. 5 speed tranny with hyd clutch. I bought a 7/8 bore master cylinder from bumper to bumper and it works great. I dont think its actually 7/8. But it does work. Lot of ppl had issues with bleeding this setup. I bought the kit. Master cylinder. Clutch line and slave cylinder so everything matched. Otherwise u gota find aline thatl match ur slave cylinder. Flywheel starter clutch and pressure plate all for 96 f150. I cnt member which size. Think a 11 in clutch. Its in my build. Now my r2 was a 2 wd tranny and there wasnt any 4 wd trans available so. I bought a 4wd out put shaft and housing from junkyard. Then a 82 bronco no208 tcaseand had the linkage built using early 90 f150 parts. My drivelines come from late 80 f150 on front and 91 explorer on rear and they fit perfectly. I pulled radiator out of 91-94 explorer with shroud. I used shroud and installed mecury cars electric fan. The merury and taurus fan are same if u find two hot wires and a ground u found right one. Ones for high and one for low. Custom exhaust. I live in arkansas and we dont have laws on emissions stuff. So check ur laws. Id u do then ull need to find a explorer 5.0 and wire it up to ur harness. There are lots of ppl here who can help. I hope i andwered some of ur questions. Check my build out at fants truck is title on forum. It has pictures and explains alot. Again mine is a carbed setup

Fant

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh and as for rearend and front rearend. Im running dana 28 front and 7.5 rear. I popped something in my rearend mudding. But alot guys have had good luck with them. I just bought and am currently building a 8.8 rearend out of 92 explorer for my truck. I opted for drum breaks on mine instead of disk. I hate the squeelers and sand or dirt make em sqeek. Or they do on my wifes suv. Drives me nuts. So build ur motor and tranny and u can do rearends later.

Max9705

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 converted 302
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys I'm in this way past my head and need some help also , I have a 1988 ranger 4x4 also I've done the advanced adapters transmission mount , and have bought all the center force clutch and throughout bearing but here's the issue , the clutch fork does not have the spring clip ,to hold the bearing in place , and the centerforce bearing does not have a spring clip either , and I'm not sure what I need to do to get the right part year for this build

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals