• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 street/strip maybe full on minitruck

txrangr1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I was glancing around craigslist bored on this deployment I am on looking for a parts truck for my 1987 4x4 Ranger Super cab. Well I was basically looking for a good donor for a bed and a fender or two. I found a short bed regular cab that this guy just wanted to get rid of for $600. The kicker is it had no motor or transmission which was fine cause I was just going to church up the 2.9L in the 87. But the guy informs me it is set up for a SBF transplant so that got me thinking screw it build the 87 as a off road rig and this one as a street/strip truck. I am going to post some ideas that I have already for this build and then some pics. I would like you guys and gals to maybe help me with parts that will be needed and stuff like that. To help me when I get back stateside to start the build.

The motor and transmission is out of a Thunderbird (waiting on year) picked up from a local race team back where I am stationed. But I think I want to just do a carb set up on this truck. I am looking for maybe 400rwhp.

With the 8.8 rearend and c5 trans what are my options for driveshaft?

• 302 and C5 combo
  • wheels and tires (probably 17's or 18's)
  • lower the truck (thinking flip kit) what do I need to lower front? just springs?
  • explorer 8.8 rear end (haven't decided disc or drum brake)
  • power adder down the road (N20, or turbo)

Last edited:

txrangr1988

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
Update: Well I am nearing the end of my deployment so I am going to start ordering parts. Looks like I will have my hands full with this project but I am going to love having one of each first gens.

I have to decided to go ahead and do the DJM 4/5 kit. My question is can I also do the belltech 2" drop coils or do I need to just get stock ones? Also I have been looking but haven't been able to find what camber eccentrics I will need for the drop. Can only find the 1-3/4 ones from NAPA.

Found out that the engine is a 1987 out of a thunderbird. Still have to wait on it to get conformation if it is HO or not.

Going to order:
B&M floor shifter and cable (not sure what model I need) thinking the 80776 model
Getting a intake, carb, and air cleaner kit from summit
90 degree oil filter relocation kit
New dual sump oil pan (if not already on engine)
DJM 4/5 kit w/ shock absorbers
maybe an engine gasket kit or rebuild kit

Ordered:
1996-tubular exhaust manifolds (105 for a pair on ebay)
Stock driveshaft (truck didn't come with one) only cost me 61 bucks on ebay

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wish that I had seen this and your other post earlier. Not a bad price on the manifolds, but you would have been better off with the cast manifolds due to less restriction. I think that for just a little more than that you could have had a set of Tri-Y headers, but I'm not sure how they work with the C5 trans.

As mentioned in the other thread I can't tell you much bout the engine trans combo, but if you decide you want fuel injection look into the Mustang EFI system. I personally prefer EFI to carb but to each his own.

For the oil relocation kit, build your own kit and spend a little more on the block adapter. Everything I've read most of the kits leave something to be desired on the block adapter part, and the hoses are almost never right for the application. You want the block adapter piece to be 90 degrees with 2 inlets and outlets, or you want one of the billet pieces that are 90 degrees and clockable. The latter are expensive but you can put the outlets where ever you need them for clearance.

As I said in other thread DJM doesn't make a 4/5 for the earlier Rangers, they make a 3/4. That's 3" drop beams and 4" axle flip kit. If you are going to install an explorer axle then all you need is the drop beams, that axle can get you almost 5" in the rear. I'd recommend starting with just the drop beams (and axle) and see where that puts you with the engine installed. If it isn't enough then consider cutting coils or drop springs. As long as the front is dropped with beams only you will not need drop shocks or camber eccentrics, because the shock mounts stay in the same position relative to the frame, it's just the spindles that are lifted. The rear with axle flip may need drop shocks, can't really tell you as I'm building my truck to make use of stock length shocks in the rear.

Keep us posted on your build.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals