• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 93 ranger with OBD2 5.0 Swap

Ombralamierina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. <----first word of what will be a very long post when it's done.

I recently got some awful wrist pin knock in my 4.0 with 240k miles. I decided rather than rebuild the 4.0, or buy a brand used 4.0, i would just do the 5.0 swap.

I found the perfect donor truck for what I want to do. It is a 96 F150 5.0 with M5OD trans. I got the truck for $750. Truck came with everything under the hood still in place, the full wiring harness, all the computers, and all sensors still attached.

I will be swapping the motor and trans into the ranger, and mating it to a BW1356 transfer case.

I will be uploading picture as I get the job done, this thread will be to update people as I go. This is not just an average V8 swap as I will be swapping every OBD 2 component over. I will do a write up of everything that needed to be done to get every monitor ready(excluding evap) to help people out that want to do this swap as well.

Day 1: 2/23/14 prepared F150 for motor pull(everything is disconnected, motor mounts loose, ready to pull- but my cherry picker gave up). Left wiring harness on engine for now, Disassembled the Dashboard. making piles of potentially needed plastics, switches, and sensors.
Pictures to come tomorrow when engine is pulled.

Day 2: 2/25/14 Got the motor out, as promised I have some pictures (for the hater who already doubts me =P) I disconnected the wiring harness from the firewall and began removal of the harness. removed the rest of air box and mass air flow housing. drank some beer, and called it an early day as it's a little cold out today.

Day 3: 2/26/14 I will be using today to begin buying swap pieces. Not sure whose parts I'm going to buy yet. So many options for headers and mounts. Filter relocation will be easy. I plan on doing an e303 cam so I will be getting the cam, lifters, rockers, and pushrods, with my rebuild kit. Bore specs and bearing clearances will determine how much I rebuild the engine. I will show how to use plastigauge and telescoping gauges to help people learn if their block ndeeds to be machined. Motor tear down will be Sunday.

day 4: 2/27/14 Ordered advance adapter headers, mounts, and oil filter relocation kit. Will begin 5.0 disassembly on Sunday. Will have lots of pictures to show you guys what 200k miles looks like on a 96 f150 motor lol. I'm sure most of you know, but pictures are fun ya?

Attachments

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Pics or it aint real.....

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna need to swap the intake, its too tall even with a body lift. Nice build...

SVT

Ombralamierina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your gonna need to swap the intake, its too tall even with a body lift. Nice build...

SVT
I was thinking about a mustang upper, will the be low enough with stock lower? If not do you have any advice?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Mustand, tbird, or explorer will work, explorer being the best choice. You will need both the upper and lower as they are different from the f150...

SVT

gsp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Ombralamierina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mustand, tbird, or explorer will work, explorer being the best choice. You will need both the upper and lower as they are different from the f150...

SVT
I actually got a 5.0 tbird in my father in law's junk yard, so that should work perfectly. Thank you for the info, saving me a big headache later.

Ombralamierina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the 4.0 ready to pull out of the ranger today. Also got the lower and upper intake off the 5.0.3 lower intake bolts broke off in the heads. The two front ones and the passenger rear most one. There were a total of about 10 broken bolts while taking the 5.0 apart. It appears someone else was "fixing" this motor prior to my ownership. I may just swap the heads and do a efi swap instead. There are a lot of parts breaking coming out.

Oh well for now I'll stay on the same path. May just swap the Thunderbird efi in there for now and do obd2 later. Pictures to come Tuesday when the weather is nice. Should also have the 4.0 out tuesdayas well.

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hope to do something similar when I have the funds!

Ombralamierina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
it has been a looong while. Some things came up, as they usually do, but the motor is still going in. In fact the 4.0 is out, the 5.0 is rebuilt(excluding intake), and is ready to be dropped in. I got the advanced adapter headers installed and mounts waiting.

The last step before I do anything else is drill my slots. A little nervous about cutting it wrong, did you guys follow the advanced adapter picture? If so how did it turn out.

If i get these holes drilled today I am ready to drop my 5.0/m5od in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals